Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannpalmyra

How to keep rocks from sinking?

joannpalmyra
14 years ago

I love to incorporate rocks into my gardens. The only trouble is, they sink. After a couple of years they're below the surface and partailly covered with soil and grass/weeds. Should I be putting something under them to keep them at the surface? Or do I have to dig them up every couple years and add soil beneath?

~JoAnn

Comments (11)

• botann
    14 years ago

First off, toss out the rule that you should bury one third of the rock to 'make it look more natural'. Second, determine the top of the rock, then the front. Usually the top is the flat side. The face is the best front of the rock. Place the rock as high as you can get it, making sure it's right side up and facing the lawn or path. If one of the sides has an overhang, place an appropriate rock next to it to hide the overhang. Group the rocks in groups so it looks like came out of the earth naturally, rather than random placement. Lightly place some topsoil around the rocks to stabilize them and get the right contour. Only plant groundcovers in front of the rock, not shrubs or trees. You don't want to hide them! By the time you plant and mulch, the rocks will look normal even though initially they will stick out like a sore thumb before you planted and mulched.
    If you bury 1/3, plant and mulch, you've already hidden 1/2 of the rock. Given a little time for settling and you've lost more.
    This is the way I look at it. Hope it helps.

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I have the same problem, my solution! I put presure treated wood under the rock, place my rock where I want it and cover the wood with mulch,and WALA it looks great and no is the wizer. if I put nice big rocks I just put poting soil in between them and plant smalls in that.

hope this helps, Carmen

• joannpalmyra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, that was a year ago! Thank you Botann and Carmen for the replies. :)
    I've begun a rock garden in my front yard alongside the steps that lead from the sidewalk to the porch. I completed phase 1 today: digging up the sod and loosening the soil. Next I'll add some black edging. I had hoped to get that done today, but it started to rain quite hard. The plan is to put a double layer of weed-out fabric over the soil, though I'm not sure if I should put the fabric inside or under the edging. I guess I could do both since I'll be using 2 layers. (planning as I type, here :P )
    then I'll add rocks - I have a couple of really great ones with little holes and fossils. I'm hoping the fabric will help keeps the rocks in place. After that I'll get some of the sedums & hens & chicks that I have elsewhere and place them.
    *sigh* I hope it doesn't rain after work tomorrow. I really want to get this done!

• kittytwo
    6 years ago

Was the pressure-treated wood beside any plantings? Did the chemicals on it harm the plants? Thank you.

• wvau6883nanna
    6 years ago

Beautiful! I am thinking about a small rock garden! Hope it looks as good as this, of course the rocks will be smaller!

• Vicki Holland
    5 years ago

15 years ago I made a rock garden area about 6x6. Last year I spent a total of 4 hours digging out and salvaging about 12 bags worth of black 2 inch rocks. I had put down 2 layers of the black cloth but the rocks ended up sinking, some were 12 inches down. My husband thought I was nuts :]

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago

The first post here was in 2009. Here's an update on mine. This rock garden is not made to impress the neighbors or rock garden collectors. It's a study in scale using conifers and sedums. It's also in dire need of being pruned to give it more of an alpine look. The next picture was taken from the left of this one.

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A 90 degree view of the preceding picture. A little more pruning was done since the last pic and a lot more needs to be done. my garden is large and I'm always playing catch up. :-) Aren't we all?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 years ago

Always been one of my favorite landscape vignettes, Mike. Thanks for the update.

tj

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago

In the Spring.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus