Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alaskan_rover

The symmetry of organic form...

alaskan_rover
13 years ago

Hi. First post. Presently we live in both Alaska and Virginia, but in the coming months will be moving part-time to the Pacific Northwest of Oregon, where the forests are lush.

I've been thinking of rock gardens of late...and have been wondering about the juxtaposition of the solidity of rock, all hard and sharp angles with the organic fluidity and softness of plants.

The two would seem polar opposites at first...about as compatible as milk and orange juice.

You'd think that...until you take a walk in a pre-dawn forest as the light is coming to the fore. The rocks amidst the trees and plants stop being mere rocks and become castle walls amidst a jungle of luscious green. The moss covers the sharpness of the rocks and make them part of the forest realm. It is here that the land of rock and the plants intertwine organically.

So, I guess the best architect of a garden is nature herself...but I'm thinking she can be an incredible teacher if we study her ways. And thus I guess it becomes our endeavor to emulate her luscious form and choice of color and texture...and just hoping that we can do half as good as she.

Rocks and plants are both of the earth...both have their own synergy...it is up to us to bring those synergies together in our own private spaces.

Comment (1)

• leftwood
    13 years ago

I don't think anyone is going to ague with that.

milk + orange juice makes curds + whey