Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie23_gw

Need Ideas

josie23
17 years ago

If I am posting in the wrong topic please direct me to the correct one.

I have a bed the runs along the east side of my garage, and it is very dry. Even when I water it. I want to take out what is there and change it over to an "arid" bed. Meaning drought tolerant plants that look cool.

I have access to some perennial cactus, and I thought I may add a yucca or 2, but what other zone 5 perennials or annuals would fit this arid motif?

It gets sun in the morning. Right now daylilies are surviving, but my rhubarb which was place there 9 years ago as a tempory home are dying and getting smaller and smaller each year. It is time to give it a major face lifg.

Thanks, J

Comment (1)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

I am assuming then, that it gets at least a half day's sun.

Of course any sedum, sempervivum or jovibarba should do well. Surprisingly many penstemons do well in dry also, although the motif will take a turn for the different. Also prairie plants in general from short or mid grass ecosystems too. They are the drier prairies, and naturally have roots that grow way, way, way down. Some of the grasses, like blue grama (Bouteloua gracilis) or little bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium) might look good. Of the prairie flowers, Silky aster (Aster sericeus)would look cool. Wiry stems on a short 2ft or less plant with sparsely set silvery leaves. It does not spread underground.

Rick

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting