Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerbrackob

mazus reptens

flowerbrackob
15 years ago

Can only find info from '07 on this ground cover. I love them! What I want to know is: I have open/bare spots in my beds, since the Mazus is so pretty between the step stones, could I plant it into the beds for ground cover too? My thought was that it crawls across and is lightly rooted and can be cut off, it would not harm any of the plants as they are rooted underneath the soil with roots growing into the ground. I picture the garden as a solid green covering like a carpet. Good????? Jaemy

Comments (2)

• cannedam
    15 years ago

I think you can. It grows like the ajuga reptans that I planted in a whole bed, and for many of them I planted the creeping stems which had some roots coming down and they did fine. They needed heavy watering the first several days - two weeks. If it's getting hot where you are, I'd also mulch around it. They'll root down through the mulch, I think. It's a very attractive plant. I think I'll go on the hunt for some next year. :) How prolific is it though? How readily does it spread? If it's as prolific as ajuga, you may end up battling it to keep it in bounds. If not, then no worries.

• cannedam
    15 years ago

I got lucky only one week after reading your posting which introduced me to mazus reptans! A garden center was going out of business and I was able to purchase several plants for just a few bucks! I now have my mazus reptans :) Thank you.

What did you decide to do?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living