Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbeuerlein

Unique, high pH site

sbeuerlein
18 years ago

I would like to plant some type of groundcover in some barely amended crushed limestone paver base. The pH will invariably be pretty high, drainage almost perfect. The site is very open with lots of reflected light beneath a couple of tall oaks. Root competition is/will be virtually nill. Site will be visited by deer from time to time.

I'm wondering if some sedums might do the trick. Delaspermas? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Scott

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

The presence of oaks leads me to wonder whether there will actually be a high pH. What's the rainfall like?

If it's not a pest in your area the flat Cotoneaster might suit. Or something like Omphalodes verna, or a spread of Pulsatilla.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Sedums would live there. I would put in Saxifrages but they would probably fry in your spot without a little shade and some extra water.

Which Delosperma were you thinking of? Some are quite thirsty, others are very drought-tolerant. D. cooperi should do well, or perhaps D. sutherlandii but I'm not sure how hardy that one is.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations