Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some color in my sedum garden

Posted by pieheart 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 21:20

I have a small drab rock garden with mostly sedum in greens and yellows. Even the dragon's blood sedum is drab. The garden is on a slope, about five feet high by three feet wide. I'm trying to keep the plants smallish so they don't overwhelm each other. I also like the height to be no more than ten inches, preferably lower.

I prefer sedums if possible, but really anything that would add some interest would work. I do have one plant that has succulent thin leaves six or more inches long in a rosette with a flower at the end of a stem that is at least a foot long. I lost the tag and forgot the name. Other than that just interesting sedums, but drab.

Any ideas for some small perennials to add color?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some color in my sedum garden

This is what works for me,
dwarf day lillies, I also have bigger ones, but my garden is big,
portulaca, i know i didn't spell that right,
ice plant
lirobe (i mispelled that too)
creeping jenny
any kind of dwarf iris, i have african iris, but don't know if it's hardy where you live, blooms all summer.
Do you want only succulents?
I mix them and they grow fine together.
Try small ornamental grasses too, they live fine on my hill with the sedums and hold the soil.
Mondo grass, the spike thing, it also comes in red, don't know the name of it, but they are sold everywhere for pots, i planted it and it came back this year,
I also planted fiber optic grass. Looks real nice with sedum.(may not live this winter, but looks nice now).
GOod luck with your hill.

o
RE: need some color in my sedum garden

Thanks, you gave me some good ideas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here