Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xanadu_gw

Semps that maintain their color

xanadu
19 years ago

In Sempervivum lovers unite flowerfloosy asked about semps that maintain their color in summer heat. I thought I would start a new post because I'm interested too. Pruhonice, Galahad, Viking, Director Jacobs, Silverine, Purple Ruby, Red Lion, Legolas, Royal Ruby, Rouge, Saga and Unicorn, as well as half a dozen unnamed semps, all maintain some or a lot of color for me. The colors range from icy purple to bronze. Some of these are in shade, some in direct sun for several midday hours, which makes quite a difference in their color. The richest colors are on Viking, Red Lion, Rouge and Royal Ruby. The latter's color is in the chicks, which surround it like a dark red crown. Anyone have others to add to the list?

Comments (2)

• robert
    19 years ago

I've noticed the lack of relies - I'd love to help but unfortunately summer heat is what we are short of here in the UK. It might be useful for me to comment that even when summers are far from hot Semps. tend to have their best colour at the beginning of the growing season and then lose their intensity of colour over time.

• NewYorkSucculents
    19 years ago

I have over 200 varieties of Semps and they all maintain their color nery well for most of the year. Usually in the winter, they lose some color but regain their color quickly in the spring. I keep all of mine in full sun except the yellow Heuffelii varieties. A few of the varieties even look their best when it gets colder.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA