Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannacrazy

Black Jack Sedum

cannacrazy
15 years ago

I can't figure out if my Black Jack is ailing. I've read where they tend to splay as they get taller? Anyway, the stems are drifting outward from the center of the plant--several shorter stems have laid completely over--and the leaves are sort of soft and a bit wilted looking. It has received very little water, is in well drained soil, and sits in full, hot SC sun. My other low growing sedums planted around the base are doing fine. Should I be worried if the leaves are not plump and firm? The stems have plenty of blooms starting to open.

Comments (3)

• bamaud
    15 years ago

That could mean that they are in need of some more water. Usually plants that tend to get wilty and limp are thirsty and hot. Although, a picture would probably help.

-Ben

• cannacrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I've figured out what the problem is...now I need to figure out the why. It appears that the base of just about every stem is dying and that's causing the leaves to show their "stress." The bottom of the stems are so dry and brittle that about six or seven have broken off at the base whenever the wind gets a bit gusty. I cut the dead portion off the broken stems and am now trying to root the remaining healthy part. So far, they continue to bloom! This is my first Black Jack so I don't know what's "normal" for these plants. Does anybody know why the stems would do this?

• cannacrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been told my Black Jack has root or crown rot from too much water. I've salvaged as many cuttings as possible and will see if they take. It's very disappointing since it was just beginning to bloom. I will not plant any more large sedums in a deep planter!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County