Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poisonous Rocks?

Posted by buckley CO (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 1:18

I have a rather small yard in the Denver area where I have hauled in and arranged about 10-15 tons of rhyolite boulders to form a high border/short retaining wall/rock garden area the full width of my yard. I then filled in behind and between the rocks with "planters mix", a sandy loam with compost mixture. The rocks and soil came from the same supplier. As soon as I started watering plants, the rocks began to effloresce salt! (yes, I've tasted it) Most rocks are covered with a powdery residue. Some have a flaky crusty build up, and some even grow little salty "worms" that stick out from the rock. You can wash it off daily and it comes right back. My rocks are now surrounded by 3-6 inch wide halos of salt-encrusted soil, and so far I have 65 dead plants, mostly near the rocks, but more recently some a good distance away from the rocks. The supplier admitted that there are sometimes salt veins that run through the rhyolite, but says it has never been a problem before, and they still recommend their rhyolite for general landscaping. They suggest that I rinse/flood the rocks frequently to wash and leach the salt away and say that the problem will probably go away.

Now I need advice. I don't know if I need a geologist, a master gardener, or a lawyer, but all of my labor and money has gone for nothing. I have killed unkillable plants and contaminated my whole back yard with this salt, and they want me to "give it time"! Has anyone ever heard of salt contaminated rhyolite? Will this go away, or last for years? Isn't this considered toxic, or at least an environmental hazard? I have yet to approach the supplier with the idea of replacing the rocks, soil, and plants, and providing the labor to do it for me. Does this sound like a legitimate lawsuit? I'd love to hear opinions....HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poisonous Rocks?

Hi Buckley
I found this info about Rhyolite.

Rhyolite is a light-colored rock with silica (SiO2) content greater than about 68 weight percent. Sodium and potassium oxides both can reach about 5 weight percent. Common mineral types include quartz, feldspar and biotite and are often found in a glassy matrix. Rhyolite is erupted at temperatures of 700 to 850 C.

Below is the link for anyone interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhyolite

o
RE: Poisonous Rocks?

I am not even close to being any kind of pseudogeologist, but salt doesn't just wash through the soil, although I am sure it would help. Apparently gypsum reacts in certain soils either with the salt itself or the soil, but the end result is that the salt's adhesion to soil particles is broken and can be washed through more thoroughly.

It might be that the supplier hasn't had any problems because they haven't come across any rhyolite right next to a salt vein until your project. And your rock is more heavily contaminated. Whatever you decide, document, document, document all your problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here