Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pea Gravel

Posted by meigsy 7b Clayton NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 9:19

We have some hostas planted along the side of the house and I am also going to plant some Hydrangea and something else that we haven't decided on. We are looking to use pea gravel in that planting area instead of mulch. Would this be a good idea or if not, what would you suggest? Also, is a large or smaller stone better? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pea Gravel

Hi, I know that the hosta do very well with pea gravel, however, I am not so certain about the hydrangea. My hydrangea show limp leaves in the extreme heat and I fear that the roots would get too warm with the gravel over top of them. I would suggest asking this in the hydrangea forum. Those folks have a lot more knowledge and will probably ask what variety of hydrangea you have.

o
RE: Pea Gravel

Both would prefer an organic mulch like shredded bark, as it would retain more moisture and cool the soil more. However, slugs would prefer an organic mulch too, as it would retain more moisture and cool the soil more.

Hosta, of course, will grow practically anywhere though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here