Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

How to start?

pamghatten
19 years ago

Hi All,

I just got back from a Garden Tour in England and was very taken with some of the Alpine gardens I saw there.

I have a concrete industrial wash basin that I want to start an alpine garden in next year, but want to do some research first.

Any books you would recommend for me to read?

I grow and hybridize daylilies and have a couple of acres of gardens. Need to add an Alpine garden to the mix.

Thanx,

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: My Farm

Comments (2)

• georgeinbandonoregon
    19 years ago

i believe the north american rock garden society has a website (that you can locate using a search engine like google) with lots of pictures and links to other on-line resources. imho the key to aesthetic and horticultural success is finding good speciman rocks and making sure you have good (excellent) drainage thru proper siting (generally on a slope, hill, or mound (natural or one you create), or container if you are creating a trough garden and a soil mix made up of the right mixture of gravel, sand, dirt, and soil/organics for the plants you are growing. mix all or some of the above together with properly selected and installed plants and with luck and time you will have something that you will enjoy for years to come. good luck!!!

• donn_
    19 years ago

NARGS.org

Here is a link that might be useful: North American Rock Garden Society

Sponsored