Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleedfoot

Sagina Subulata Seeds

Bleedfoot
19 years ago

I recently ordered a package of sagina subulata seeds from outsidepride.com, and they didnt come with any instructions for planting. I am going to be putting the seeds in large, round planters- because they are going to be moving with me.

Does anyone know just how to plant these tiny tiny seeds- if they require any special care- and how long it takes for them to start sprouting?

Comments (2)

• donn_
    19 years ago

I've been looking at S. subulata seed at all the various seed websites. They all say it takes a long time (up to a year) to germinate. Most instructions are to sow heavily, and cover very very lightly (the thickness of one seed). Jelitto says to sow them in a coldframe in the fall, for germination the following year. They also suggest starting them in a controlled climate condition, like indoors or in a greenhouse, and starting them in space thrift trays, to wait out the germination.

Outsidepride's instructions are on their website, linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Outsidepride Groundcover Instructions

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just planted my seeds a week ago, looking at no instructions, and just put them with some organic mix potting soil mixed with sand.

I checked this morning, after keeping them moist and in the garage, and there are thousands of teeny sprouts coming up! :D

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County