Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbumble

How do I stop killing little plants?

msbumble
15 years ago

I'm hoping that I can get some advice from rock gardeners on my "little plant" problem. At various times I have planted purple rock cress, Irish Moss and another low-growing plant with fine lacy leaves (lost the label - love alliteration?), all with the same result, that being they brown out. Sometimes it's from the center, sometimes all over. I've tried sun & part shade, regular soil w/compost and soil w/little pebbles added for better drainage. Not much difference in results, though the shaded plants are holding on a bit better. All these plants were labeled SUN or Sun/part shade, so what's up? It does get very humid & hot here, but the dying back started while it was still pretty mild, right after planting.

Possible issues: de-icing salt from nearby steps has gotten into the soil; I'm not planting these at the right depth; they don't really like New Jersey's Louisianna climate.

Your thoughts? Thanks. MsB

Comments (3)

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

There are two possibilities:
    1. Your conditions are not adequate for the plants
    2. Your manner of depotting and replanting impairs the plants root system.

Best remedy is to know the plants and to have your situation suitable. Check out the link below. And check out all the links on the pages. Be sure your conditions will enable the plants to grow well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rob's Plants

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

Im in PA and I found the same problem. I believe its to much moisture and I made the soil is to rich. try making a scree, a mixture of rocks and sand to bed the plants in and keep excessive moisture off the plants. Mine are doing much better now. Some plants like poor soil, So adding compost makes the soil to rich. Thats my theory from my expericence.
    cyn

• msbumble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies, I'll try the scree and see if that revives them.