Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
username_5

color question

username_5
18 years ago

When it comes to sedums and sempers and similar plants I have noticed that the colors I end up with are not always the same as the pictures show. Colors change by season, water levels and maybe nutrient levels as well. Not all plants show the color changes to the same degree as others.

My question is has anyone noticed a trend? For example if the plant is typically described as green with purple edges what conditions result in this? Assuming a plant is an alpine type meaning it prefers dryish conditions and low fertility is that when the plants exhibit their 'typical' look? If ferts go up or water goes up is there a trend to the color change? I have noticed that in the srping when it is cool and wet every single semp I have in a particular area are red/maroon/mauve in color and in summer they turn more green. Would this be due to temp, the different soil moisture levels or something else?

I love watching the changes with my plants, but have no idea what environmental change results in what coloration change.

Comment (1)

• leftwood
    18 years ago

For the sempervivums I am sure to much shade will cause greenig, but I would have said the major factor for summer greening is the heat, until this summer when my Red Ace returned to red from early summer heat and greening. The only difference I noticed is a change from lack of water to adequate while temperature remained constant. Really though, I am pretty new to semps as they have never interested me much until a friend gave me Bronco. I eagerly await additional postings. The photo doesn't do it justice but here it is:

Sempervivum 'Bronco'
    {{gwi:372122}}

Sponsored