Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly28_gw

Rock Garden

shelly28
15 years ago

I live in a new development (less than 2 years) and have learned that my natural rock garden (which is on a shallow slope) may have been an old dumping area, there are tons of large and small rocks, mostly cobblestones. There is little soil here, mostly a small layer and moss then lots and lots of rocks on top of each other. We have built a fire pit in this area and have used the larger rocks that we pulled out of the hole as seating, and the smaller rocks as containment for the fire.

However, at the top of the slope there is a pretty flat area, I would like to build some type of patio area here. It will be a great location to view the backyard, since we have parties often. There are already natural step stones from the fire pit to this area, that were already there! I'm thinking of purchasing a thick weed barrier and then having small stones delivered. Once in place and level, I would use some of the natural rocks that I already have. My concern is that with so many rocks under the weed barrier, that it may not be stable long term. I just don't want to put in the effort and then have to redo it down the road. I want to do it right the first time. Any suggestions?

Comment (1)

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

I live in PA where we have very little top soil and lots of rocks. Its so rocky many times I just pull a few rocks out to plant something.
    Mostly though my gardens are raised beds. I find it works much better since the clay is so heavy, and I find myself weeding less in raised gardens.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals