Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this dwarf sedum? (pix)

Posted by michael_in_chicago z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 13:23

I have a mystery sedum that I seem to recall thinking was a dwarf, perhaps sedum XXX 'Nana'.

Googling that yields S. sieboldii 'Nana', which, if it's like the regular form, should yield bluish leaves throughout its development. This one starts purple and remains purple.

I also know that these bluish/purplish sedums can change color depending on conditions of sun/nutrition (like S. 'Rosey Glow', 'Vera Jameson', et al). My mystery purplish dwarfs are planted in full sun scree areas which yield darker colors, in my experience. They never get more than 10" across. Is there a S. cauticola 'Nana'?

Nevertheless, anyone have a definitive name? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this dwarf sedum? (pix)

Michael,

I noticed you posted a while ago, and was wondering if you by any chance found a name. I believe I have something very similar, though it was first planted this season and is doing poorly. It might have been stepped on by a dog, or something, as I found parts broken off of it.

Have you maybe tried at Name That Plant Forum since there were no replies here? You might describe just how big it is, or take a pic with something like a ruler or a dollar bill.

I might add, that at first the pics did not load, and I clicked on the 'image word' and chose reload image.

It is best to keep the pics fewer KBs, for those of us on slow dial up.

Hope you find out...I'd like to know too.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

o

I am thinking it might be Sedum cauticola Lidakense. Color of leaves is variable depending on growing conditions. Light blue with ample water and/or less than full sun and stress free. As with most plants, a purplish look is taken on with more stressed situations or in other cases low temps. Lidakense has a very vivd and distinctive flower color. It tends to die back to the ground each winter for me.

o

That could be the key...growing it in lean soil, full sun yields a purple cast. I have S. c. 'Lidakense', and thought I'd "lost" it. I guess it's right there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here