Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

What can I plant in a cement block?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I have a cement block vegetable bed and want to plant something in the holes that will take the heat and what I assume would be an alkaline soil? I also want something that would not get in the way of using the veggie bed.

I am thinking hens and chicks would work well, and I could plant them low in the blocks and they would not be in the way. But I don't want to plant all hens and chicks. Other ideas I have and not sure if they will work are:

Dianthus tiny rubies..which is a mat that has tiny blooms for a 2 week period. Not sure it could take the heat and dryness.

Wooly thyme, and other thymes.

Other than that I am coming up empty for ideas..has anyone else ever planted the holes of the cement blocks successfully?

Adam

Comments (7)

• WestEnder
    18 years ago

Hens and chicks do work well in cement blocks, but I've also successfully grown other varieties of sedums, and dusty miller (artemisia) plants in them. Dianthus likes the cement but in Georgia it gets too hot for them with such a small amount of soil. In your area that might work fine. Things I've tried that failed include petunias, dahlias, and various small bulbs. If your cement blocks have holes that are open on both ends, you might try growing clematis through them. I've done this with round cement pipes, on the theory that the roots will stay shaded and cool, and it seems to work. Leave several inches of open space above the clematis plant, inside the block opening.

Mint will also grow up through a cement block hole, but unfortunately even a half-buried cement block won't contain mint's spreading roots. You might try other herbs as well.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Westender..

That information was just what I was looking for. I wondered if the dianthus would do ok in them, and I wondered what other people had tried. Interesting idea about the clematis..lol. I never would have thought of that. Of course it wouldn't fit my application, but a good idea.

Thanks,
    Adam

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

I never thought of growing plants in Cement block. I'll have to give this some thought. I probably should put all my dianthus in them since my soil is so acidic.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Relatives of sedums or sempervivums should do well, like Jovibarba. And I don't know if Orostachys is a relative, but I'd try it. Many Euphorbias are quite drought resistant and cold hardy, and there are prostrate forms. I'd try them too.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

Forgot about this thread..lol. I did add some hens and chicks to a few of the blocks and they are doing fine. Will still be trying to add more next year. Thanks for more ideas. Did I say I was trying to keep a low profile? I have them around a veggie bed and need to get into the bed around whatever is growing in the blocks. I put the hens and chicks low in the block, so they don't come above the top. Works great. I have acidic soil too...dianthus is IN the bed, maybe I will try them in the blocks. I have tiny rubies I can try.

:-)
    Adam

• rain1950
    18 years ago

I've done Sweet Williams in the blocks for several years and they did great! I began rearranging that part of the garden this year and moved them. When I divided everything up, what started out as 6 plants was now 19. Gave a lot away. I have a halff buried chimney tile that I put twi in and they did fine this year.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Rain...

thankas for sharing. I like the idea of chimney tiles. I may try that too. I still only have the hens and chicks in some of the blocks, but they are doing really well. they look great too! I hope they get through the winter well..

Adam

Sponsored