Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elissabee

Columbine seeds

elissabee
16 years ago

I recently harvested the seeds from my many Columbine plants. I'd like to plant the seeds in some other places on my property. Should I drop the seeds now or wait until the Spring? I'd also like to reseed the existing plants as well. When is the best time to do it? Seems the plants themselves are dropping them naturally now, but I'd like to give the seeds the best chance for nice growth next year, which is why I'm thinking after the winter would be better. Thoughts?

Comment (1)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

elissa

Hi, last year I dropped seeds in the fall right before it got cold. I didn't do this with columbine but did drop coneflower and balloon flower. This was in the middle of a large ring of rocks and was relatively sheltered from frost and harsh winds over the winter. This area did see plenty of snowfall, up to 12 inches at times. Everything sprouted wonderfully for me this spring. I received dozens of great healthy balloon flower and smaller than normal echinaceas but still healthy.

I think if I were you I would go ahead and sow, just make sure to mulch heavily over them as the foliage browns out in the fall. This should help protect the roots. If you are uncertain then just sow half of them and keep the others until spring.

I hope this helps!

Tracy

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County