Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Success with sedums in rocky, red clay soil?

Posted by Rhubarb_Stalker Z5 Western MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 04 at 14:01

This spring I planted several sedums in rocky, red clay soil which had been generously amended with perlite. However, the plants look puny and yellow, and they have hardly grown at all in three months. I thought sedums would grow in practically any soil.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Success with sedums in rocky, red clay soil?

The 'red' part isn't important (just an oxide of iron). I wouldn't plant sedums in perlite. I can't think of any benefit. I'd amend the soil (especially clay) with lots of sand and small size gravel. Sedums need good drainage and clay usually doesn't provide that. Clays tend to be quite nutritious but I'd still add a bit of compost into the soil.

Ideally, if I had clay, I'd use one part sand, one part gravel, one part clay, and about 1/3 of one-part compost (or 1/10th total compost).

o

Hi, adding compost to clay or sand will greatly enhance and improve both. From experience mixing clay and sand for the most part equals bricks, even with compost. Sedums seem to prefer the sandy/compost/rock garden (crushed gravel) formula. In this mix with all the rain so far this year the sedum is growing like its gone to heaven.

ciao

o

Thanks, Nagamaki and Alpiner. I will follow up on your suggestions.

o

I have awful clay soil, but I've had good luck with planting them on a hill (an artificial one) The best thing to do with hard clay soil is to use raised gardens. Save yourself alot of heartache.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here