Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marguerite_gw

What's your latest mini acquisition?

Mine is Silene acaulis, which I bought yesterday. It's a little plump cushion of foliage dotted with tiny pink flowers. Some books say it's hard to get to flower, but I bought mine with flowers on already. Apparently the plant survives in cold climates by building up amazing central heating in the cushion of leaves, many of which are from previous years. The more I learn about the smallest plants, the more respect I feel for them,

I'd love to hear about your new purchases.

Comments (3)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, my newest didn't survive the recent heatwave in the upper 90F (37C).

Abies lasciocarpa 'Steven's Blue'

{{gwi:372222}}

tj

• rain1950
    12 years ago

Hinoki False Cypress 'Harbari' 10" tall; will take 10 years to grow 12"

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/b4xnwl.jpg[/img]

• leftwood
    12 years ago

My only Silene acaulis plants I grew from seed. There were supposed to be something else, though. They bloom sparingly as alpines go, but still sufficiently. Unlike many bun forming alpine, this silene will remain tight and hard, even at low elevations with hot weather.

My latest acquisition would be some cactus, Coryphantha vivipara grown from seed collected in Wyoming. It definitely has a different look, compared to the same species natively growing in South Dakota.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH