Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynandjon

garden wall progress

cynandjon
16 years ago

this is the first season for my garden wall. It has so much space I cant seem to get enough plants. Im having so much fun planting. I figure Ill get the plants in and if they dont work, Ill move them.

BTW for those that didnt read my orginal post, its a sandmound berm. (septic mound berm)

{{gwi:372285}} {{gwi:372286}} {{gwi:42504}} {{gwi:372287}} {{gwi:372288}}

Comments (8)

• jspece
    16 years ago

Looks great!

• cynandjon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, next year will be more color as plants mature.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi Cindy,

Wow! Great pics, absolutely fabulous job! Everything is filling in so nicely! Are those some ferns I see in there?What are some of the new goodies that you added since you posted last? How is the house coming along?

Tracy

• cynandjon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Im so glad to see you tracey, I havent seen you around much.
    Well there are ferns but not in these pic. If you are referring to picture in the second row first pic, those are lillys that were about to bloom. they are blooming now. A deep red with a yellow center, second the second level cone flowers,lots of sedums and on the bottom is a short yellow ornamental grass.Oh and at that time there were some Asiatic Lillys which are now gone.

I planted some annuals to fill in, which is something I rarely do.Im figuring Ill be moving stuff around next year. I just bought 40 perennials last wednesday and they seem to get lost, it doesnt look like I added anything. Of course a lot of those were sedums and sempervirums.

The house is going slow. We are finishing the roofing on that front eve and the side overhang that we finally got up. Hopefully we will be starting the floor inside soon.Then I will feel like we are making progress.

I have an area in the wall I have to take a picture of and post. Im not sure what to plant there. I need something is kind low, will grow down over the rocks and preferably bloom all summer. The height needs to be a ft or less according to hubby. LOL. Otherwise it will obscure the view to the house because its already up high. Ill take the picture today. I dont have digi so it will probably be a week or so.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi Cindy!

I was glad to see you popping in here too! I check this forum periodically. Doesn't seem to be too many folks hanging out in the rock gardens since last we chatted.

I really am impressed with how everything has filled in. I have been looking for a low growing flowering plant myself that will keep blooming all summer. I recently picked up Irish Moss. Seems to have tiny blooms all the time but not very fully. It spreads like crazy by reseeding. I have tons of little volunteers all around it.

I fill in with annuals too. This year I picked up some lisanthium. I really like it. Tulip like blooms on very short stems. They don't get more than 6" tall. They look quite victorian to me. They are annuals here but are perennial in warmer climates.
    {{gwi:372289}}

I've also been working on identifying my lilies and daylilies. We inherited quite a few from the previous owners, so I have been snapping pics and posting in the lily forums to ask for help in id'ing. I am down to my last one and waiting for it to bloom. It's been quite nice visiting with some of the experts over there. They have been pretty helpful!

You know, there was a post on here somewhere that someone was looking for help in planting an alpine that would flower down a rock hanging with little to no soil. I will take a peak and see what advice he got.

Can't wait to see your new pics!

Tracy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I found this website that might be of some help with plants that are lower and will grow down a wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: high country gardens ground covers

• cynandjon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OOOOHHHH the lily forum. I didnt think about that. Thanks for the link for ground covers.
    those flowers you posted are gorgeous. I love them.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

If you are checking out the lily forum don't forget to look for the link to the gallery for them. Great pics! I got some good ideas for bulbs that I want to buy in the fall. They have great info on problems and pests too. I had a funky fuzzy thing growing on the stems of one and they let me know it was eggs for mealy bugs. Told me to spray them down with soapy water and wala, that did the trick!

I will be taking the lisanthium in over the winter. This was the first year I have seen them at any garden center around here and I don't know if I will be seeing them again. I am trying to get seeds from them but no luck yet.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?