Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfor4cutees

Sempervivum

Gardenfor4cutees
19 years ago

I was given a Hens and chicks pot in May when a friend of mine was movin and was about to throw it away. How could I let that happen I remember these in my Grandma's garden.? I have never grown these before and need to know how to root the chicks? Cut them and place in soil or wait? I have no clue. Do they need a deep container for roots or will a shallow container do? and how often do you water them? It seems to be growing a lot although I am quite saddened to read that the one that is blooming is going to die.:(I would post a picture but can't figure out how.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DC

Comments (3)

• robert
    19 years ago

These are very easy plants to deal with. Just pop the rosettes into standard potting compost and they will root very easily. These plants do benefit from soil that has reasonably good drainage. Being succulent plants sempervivums have the ability to store water in their leaves to help them over dry periods so don't be too generous when watering. I hope they do well.

• Gardenfor4cutees
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. They are really cute and I can't wait for the little ones to take root too.
    Thanks again
    DC

• gardencrazyinwa
    19 years ago

These are so easy to grow. You just pick the chicks from the hens and they will grow easily. You don't hardly need any soil. You can just poke them anywhere you want to grow it. I just poke it is a small indent in my rocks in my rock garden and they grow very well.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH