Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

Mystery Plant

leftwood
18 years ago

I am embarrassed that I don't know this one. It is rather common, I think, in alpine gardens. From seed. Notice that the bracts surrounding the flower are exceptionally dark green, and accentuate the yellow. The entire plant is about a foot high.

Rick

{{gwi:372298}}
{{gwi:372300}}

Comments (7)

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

A flax (Linum), no? Perhaps L. flavum compactum...or likely not...

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sure seems like that's the one to me. And a more "common" one too. Why do you say "likely not"? Strike that. It's just like you Lori. Stop acting like you don't know things.

Thanks
    Rick

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Yes, sir, LOL! (Actually, Rick, my tendency is usually to think I know a great deal more than I really do...but in this case, I admitted room for error, LOL!)
    RE. the ID, I thought the flowers seemed rather more of a chrome yellow (and very beautifully set off by the dark green leaves) than on my plants, hence I wondered if it might be some other species with which I am less familiar. L. flavum is certainly a great garden plant, and one of my faves! Is that a variegated tulip it is growing near?
    Nice to see those rock garden pix - keep 'em coming!

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the flower color was the only thing that bothered me too. Now that I have some good photos, I can ask some of my rock garden friends here too.

Yes those are variegated tulip leaves of the late blooming, viridis type. However very dissappointed with the flowers, although I have other viridis tulips that perform very well. Surrounding below are Shirley poppy leaves.

Rick

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Yes, about the flower color, here are some of my flax, for comparison:

{{gwi:372301}}

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, not a rock garden plant(at least in my view), but since I erroneously called them "viridis" tulips when they should be "viridiflora" tulips, I have to set the record straight. And here are the ones that grow well for me:

Artist Tulip
    {{gwi:372303}}

Golden Artist Tulip
    {{gwi:372305}}

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Viridiflora have not been among my favorites, but your photos could convince me to plant more (or to plant them better?)- beautiful!

Sponsored