Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Little plants for the shady rock garden

Pudge 2b
17 years ago

I have a small circular area (about 5' across) in shade that I want to convert to sort of coordinate with a matching bed opposite it which is in sun and is planted with little alpine plants. It will be a type of gentle hill, I'll amend the soil as required, and will use a sand/small stone mulch. It's a perfect area for planting those tiny things that just get lost in a big area. But it's almost full shade from a towering maple tree above it - some early morning and late afternoon sun.

Here's a photo of the area - the full sun circle on the left, the shade circle at the top of the photo (that's Columbine in there now)

Any suggestions for a mix of suitable plants?

{{gwi:372309}}

Comments (4)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Hard to believe there could be that much sun difference.

-Off course any of the miniature hostas, common ones being Hosta venusta and Crown Jewel.
    -Carex 'The Beatles'
    -Carex eburnea
    -Iris lacustris
    -I. cristata
    -I. gracilipes
    -Aruncus aethusifolia
    -Anemonella thalictroides, and cvs. lie Schoaff's Double, Cameo, etc.
    -Thalictrum kiusianum
    -Many small Primula spp., like halleri
    -Miniature(not just dwarf) Tsuga canadense(hemlock) cultivars like Abbot's Pygmy or Jervis

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Rick! I have some Hosta started from a seed mix last year that look like they'll be mini's. I never thought of them. I'll look up all the other suggestions.

There is that much sun difference during the main growing season. In about a month's time the sun circle will also be in shade as the sun begins to dip.

• brampton
    17 years ago

You don't say what your climate is, or whether you prefer natives or exotics, flowers or foliage, so it's hard to be specific.

Some bulbs like shade, and others go dormant early enough for the maple's shade to be irrelevant.

Some species of the genus Bellium (English daisies) form low groundcover in fairly deep shade, as do some Arenaria species.

Epimedium, tricyrtis, and some species of anemone, corydalis and primula flower well in shade.

And there's always ferns, many of which are very dainty.

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Corydalis solida. What a great idea, and I think it will survive up there (but I haven't really checked it out). These are some of mine at only 4-5 inches:
    {{gwi:372311}}

Sponsored