Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimandpap

Transplanting Hens & Chicks State to State

MimandPap
19 years ago

I recently inherited a small pot of these cute little plants from my deceased sister. I brought them home from her garden in Rochester New York to my home near Madison, Wisconsin. I am concerned about how to care for them. They are currently in a shallow clay pot and do not look as healthy as they did a few weeks ago in N.Y. Question: Will they survive the winter (in this pot) outside or should I bring them indoors? I would appreciate any other useful hints about caring for them. I believe they are in a sandy soil with lots of small pebbles around the top. These plants are very important to me and I would be heartbroken if they do not survive. They represent in a very small way my sisters life to me. Thank you. Mim

Comments (3)

• lemquazi
    19 years ago

Hi Mim.

I have dozens of these things (which many people call "semps", which is short for the "real" name--sempervivum) here in northern Alberta. I have lost several cultivars to the extreme cold, but most do really nicely. What zone are you in?

They seem to like very good drainage, so the sandy soil yours are in should continue to work. I would give them about three inches of soil, though.

They do well in full sun to part shade. In full shade they will live alright, but even half a day of full sun will take semps through some really phenomenal color changes.

They can go a long time without water, but regular watering (once a week) won't hurt at all.

You could keep your semps in the clay pots outside all winbter. All you have to do is sink the pots in soil, sand, or mulch to insulate the roots. Just lift the pots in spring and move them around to wherever.

And, of course, you can simply plant them around the yard. Some of them spread like wild fire, while others spread slowly. There are dozens of places on the Web to see the astounding variety of shapes, colors, and sizes that semps come in.

Semps are under-used right now, but they will catch on big time when enough people realize how tough, beautiful, and easy they are.

I haven't checked out this forum for some time, but I can remember people posting and asking about a separate semp forum. So if you have any more questions about hens and chicks, you're sure to get some answers.

Good luck with these little gems. The name "sempervivum" means something about living forever, so they are fitting plants to care for in the memory of your dear sister.

Rand Simpson
    Slave Lake, Alberta

• marquest
    19 years ago

If they are hens and chicks they need good drainage. I cannot stress enough less soil as possible. Mine are growing down a brick wall. They will rot and die in the winter if there is too much soil. I use 75% gravel 25% soil.

About leaving the pot outside.... Yes..They will survive better outside than inside. They love the cold and many will even be another color as the seasons change. I have one that is lime green in the summer, red in the winter, and blue in the Spring. It makes a nice wreath.

Sorry to hear of your loss I am sure the H&C will hold special meaning to you for many years.

• FlowersForMyFarm
    19 years ago

Hi, I also live near Madison and my hen and chicks do fine with our winters here. I brought some in the house one winter and that was a big mistake, many of them didn't survive. Apparently they need a cold dormant period. Also, as the others have said, well drained soil is the best for them. I have a couple that have sentimental value to me also and I've planted them in a couple different locations so that just in case something would happen to them, I would still have some.

Good luck with them and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Sponsored