Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvannote

Gardens to Visit in Washington State?

lvannote
19 years ago

I am so excited to have the opportunity to go to washington state this september. I would like some advice if anyone out there knows. I know there has to be some great garden shops and public gardens. We are interested in rock gardens, alpines and bonsai. We will be spending 11 days around Seattle and Olympic Park mainly , so northwest Washington. Does anyone have any suggestions for plant viewing and buying? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Here's a start:

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest Plant Locator

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Here's a cool little nursery that I like in Seattle. It's not really an alpine nursery, but one that specializes in drought tolerant plants, and they have a nice variety. They also sell interesting old items for the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Piriformis Nursery

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

This guy has incredible alpines. I've been to his place, but I don't think he's open to the public, at least not without an appointment. Here's his website, give him a call if you wish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt. Tahoma Nursery

• cassiope
    19 years ago

I grew up in that area, studied botany there, but haven't lived there in over 20 years. I would recommend (based on memories) visiting the University of Washington arboretum - it has? (had) Japanese gardens. I would also hike in the Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics. Although flowers probably wouldn't be blooming, it provides many great landscape designs! I'd also be tempted to visit Heronswood Nursery - although I don't believe it has alpines, it has lots of exotic species and from what I hear is quite impressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: arboretum

• erstanfo
    19 years ago

Hearon's wood in Kingswood www.hearonswood.com
    Fairie Herb Gardens in Olympia http://daveherbs.home.comcast.net/index.html
    There are 2 bonsi collections, one at Wharehouser headquarters called the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/aboutus/whereweoperate/worldheadquarters/bonsaicollection.asp.

Another is Elandan gardens near Bremerton http://elandangardens.8m.com/

Let me know if you want more information.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    19 years ago

A visit to Heronswood shouldn't be missed if you can fit it into your schedule...no matter what type of garden you are interested in, you'll find this garden fascinating.

But you do need to call ahead if not able to be there for a regularly scheduled garden open...worth the effort.

Here is a link that might be useful: visitors info

• gardencrazyinwa
    19 years ago

I'm from Vancouver over the bridge from portland.
    Go to www.specialtynursery.org
    Tsugawa Nursery has bonsai, they are in Woodland WA, www.tsugawanursery.com
    Bonsai Northwest in Seattle www.bonsai_NW.com

Basically, by September most of the display gardens are done for the year.

Sponsored