Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonseednut

Pictures of Rock Gardens

oregonseednut
18 years ago

I just turned over some dirt in my pasture and found a ton of rocks. I would like to make a rock garden out of them with succulents and alpine plants. Does anyone out there have any pictures of their garden you could send me so I can get inspired? Or if someone could recommend a book that would give good pictures. I need the visual inspiration.

Thanks for your help.

Love to garden!

Oregonseednut

Comments (5)

• gjmancini
    18 years ago

I dont have any pixs, but im in the same situation. I just moved to the ozarks, tons of rock. Im moving all the boulders to the front of the property and making raised beds. Make one circle, than add on to that. The ground is so hard you have to have raised beds anyways, might as well put the rocks to good use.
    Also love to garden.
    gjmancini

• tyshee
    18 years ago

It doesn't have to be a circle. It can be any shape. You can make it many ways also. One of my friend has piled up a lot of large stones and filled in with soil and it looks good. Another has built an octagon and used rocks and gravel to make tiers. Mine is yet different and has shale stairs and runs into a pond area. All are lovely. A rock garden truly represents a gardener's personality so just start creating. It also depends on what type of plants you are planning to grow in it. I like lots of crevices and places for things to crawl down or grow between. There is a lovely one at the fair grounds and it is like a mountain made from a truck load of dirt and gravel that was just dumped and left. Very simple form with bigger rocks dumped here and there. Now that the plants grew it looks very lovely.

• lggano
    18 years ago

I don't know how to put photos on this site or I would show you my efforts at building rock beds. It is important to make something that is harmonious with your local landscape. I assume the rocks you unearthed would look similar to what is already visible in your landscape. There might be books on rock gardening at your library that would be inspiring. I have found that edging beds with a ring of rocks is clunky looking and allows grass to crawl in the bed and become a problem. I lay down a grass-proof edge first and then arrange my rocks inside of that. On the plus side, plants do well with their roots under rocks where it is cool and moist. I stick pieces of sedum under rocks and they root easily. Good Luck! Laurie

• jackierooke
    18 years ago

I made a rock garden around a well cover using field stones. These pictures were in July. I need to take some later ones as the plants have filled in. I'm really happy with the way it turned out but will like it better when the ajuga around the base of it makes grass cutting and weedwhacking a lot easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockgarden Pics

• rain1950
    18 years ago

Best way, since you live in Oregon, is to drive up to the mountains, get off on a side road and see how nature does it. Take the camera and get pictures. Take a lunch, sit down and relax. The schemes will jump right out at you.

You might also want to look at Japanese gardens, which use just the stones with no plants.

Sponsored