Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkuns

Ice plant in dry stacked rock wall

Jkuns
21 years ago

Has anyone tried using ice plants (Delosperma congestum ) in betweeen the rocks of a dry stacked wall? Also, they are supposed to be hardy to zone 5 but I want to be sure they will survive our winters (Technically I am in zone 5b/6 but like to stay well within my zone when planting). I love these plants but this is my first year with them and don't want to plant them in the wall if there is a chance they will not overwinter.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions

Jean

Comments (9)

• sbeuerlein
    21 years ago

Jean, I live in Cincinnati, and have done it. It's a fairly low wall, filled with a sandy soil mix, and my Delasperma cooperi has done beautifully. In two years it has spread along about six feet of the top of the wall. It is in constant bloom from maybe June to frost. It is also very easy to take pieces and try them other places. D. nubigeum has survived on top of another wall but has never flowered. I don't know why. I've got several other delaspermas doing well in other places, but not in walls. They are, however, in soils that stay relatively dry during the winter. Wet soil, more than cold temperatures, in my opinion, is why these plants sometimes don't survive winter.

Scott

• Jkuns
    Original Author
    21 years ago

That was just the information I was looking for - thank you so much - I am thrilled to hear that yours survive the winter, mine are planted on a slope in a sand/compost mixture and seem to be doing well. I just love these ice plants, the blooms are so prolific and long lasting and perfect for my sloped gardens.

Thanks again,
    Jean

P.S. I am SW of Dayton

• sbeuerlein
    21 years ago

I'm guessing West Carrolton? Yes, they are great plants. If you are interested in different types, Arrowhead Alpines and H&H Botanicals, both in Michigan, have good selections. I've got one called "Ruby Star," which is very small, which I bought from one of those companies. It has dime sized bright raspberry blooms all summer. Really cool.

Scott

• Jkuns
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Wow I had no idea there were so many different ones. This might become an addiction. I will definitely be trying some new varieties next spring. Thanks for the names of the nurseries.

jean

And that was a pretty good guess, I am actually a little farther southwest in the Farmersville/Germantown area.

• msvirgo
    21 years ago

Was wondering if either one of you have tried Delosperma Sphalmanthoides? It is a small bun shaped plant. The tag says zone 5, but here in Iowa, I am more bordering on the zone4..I just push the limits as much as I can. I purchased the plant in Kansas City last May, but instead of putting it in the garden, I planted it in a strawberry jar with other succulants. Maybe I should have hardened it off in the garden? Have either one of you seen this tiny plant?
    Rita msvirgo50@hotmail.com

• Sandy_KS
    21 years ago

I am interested in trying these also. But have never heard of them. Is there somewhere I can see a picture, is this their common name. We have 1 and 2 stacked rows of large rocks and I am always looking for something to grow in between these rocks. Sandy in Kansas City.

• blatj775
    19 years ago

Hi all,
    When you say "in" the wall, what exactly do you mean? I had a dry stacked rock wall built in my backyard last year, and the woman who designed it suggested leaving openings for plants - basically big gaps in the stonework. She suggested some plants for them, but when I planted them they hung limply for a while and eventually croaked, despite lots of time spent trying to get water to trickle gently to their roots throught the cracks in the rock. Would ice-plant be an option for me? The wall doesn't get any direct sun, but a fair amount of light.
    Many thanks.

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

ice plant photo

Here is a link that might be useful: delosperma cooperi

• nagamaki
    19 years ago

Hi, thank you for bringing up this topic. A number of references suggest Delosperma congestum is hardy as low as Z4, while others state only to Z7. Suspect there are variations within this particular species and you'll have to find out just which one you have. From personal experience the nurseries growing and/or selling plants don't always get things right in terms of plant characteristics.
    ciao

Sponsored