Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

Who would've thought?

leftwood
18 years ago

I don't know much about this plant, Leibnitzia anandria, but I sure am learning!

First, the person who gave some seedlings to me two seasons ago said it was an annual. I grew them in pots. When all I got that first season were late summer "nothing flowers", and the plants were not in decline, I kept them over to last spring. Then found this Leibnitzia was indeed perennial. This year still no spring flowers, but again late summer flowers that don't open and only produce seed.

Now I just found a Leibnitzia volunteer growing in the lawn at the foot of a Scarlet Curls (weeping) willow. Well, to late to see about spring flowers, I probably mowed them off. But now that I haven't mowed for a while, there is that powder puff seed head again. Hrrrmph. Well actually it is kind of ornamental and looks like a midget dandelion puff, and stays for a long time, relative to most seedheads that blow away. Still, I want flowers!

Admittedly, my pot plants are probably not as happy as if in the ground, and next season that volunteer will probably bloom in spring, but if anyone has bloomin'(I mean blooming) tips, I am all ears!

Rick

Comments (8)

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

I also only got seed heads this year. I thought perhaps because I had put them in late, but maybe the flower is 'non-existent' but then again, maybe next year.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

They are behaving the same way for me. I grew them from seed last year, and saw the dandelion-puff fall flowers. They wintered over in the ground, and I expected to see the spring flowers this year, but...
    The plants have all been in bud forever, and now are finally opening, but with the fall flowers again.

I had assumed the unexpected behavior (as opposed to the description on the Gardens North website, from whence I got the seeds) was due to this rather cool summer, as I have other plants acting strangely (e.g. Gentiana tibetica which has huge heads of buds that, however, refuse to open).

So, no tips, unfortunately, but it's interesting to hear about...

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Lori, you can nix your cool summer theory. We have had an exceptionally warm summer with something like 28 days of 90F (32.2C) plus.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Well, okay, that's one thing I won't blame the weather for then! ;) (Though I am a little surprised to still have a bit of green daffodil foliage, and green trolliuses...errr, is that trollii?)
    And you're right too - I shouldn't imply that they open into puffballs; mine really just open partially and then seem to disintegrate.
    Hmmm, this is not quite as interesting as I'd hoped they would be.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Well, this year, I'm finally getting to see a spring flower on one plant - white petals with pink reverses. So early! The leaves are barely starting to emerge and it already has a flower stalk up and open! I will have to watch my other plants and see what they do.
    So, folks, perhaps they just need a couple of years maturity before they ease into their odd but "normal" spring and fall blooming behavior.
    (And, really, changing my tone slightly, the puffball fall "flowers" were rather nice last fall after all.)

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lori, I was so excited when you resurrected this thread, and reported success. Mine have leaves already too (of course) and I just went out in the rain to check on the ones in pots and in the ground. Ratsenfratsl. Nothing. But now I know, there is hope! Thanks
    Rick

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Click here to see what the flower looks like

There are other composits that do the same thing!

• abgardeneer
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pic! Yup, that's them all right!
    Why I'm showing such a puny little specimen in such barren-looking surroundings, I don't know, but here's my little plant that has bloomed:

{{gwi:373121}}

(The other plants are bigger and better-developed, honest...)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer