Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharons2

A Succulent and a Rosette

sharons2
14 years ago

I asked for help with ID'ing these two plants on the Name that Plant Forum, and someone said they were rock garden plants and suggested that I try it here, as well. I will include a link to the earlier thread below.

These two plants were given to me by a friend, but she couldn't remember what they were called. They are both in 2" pots, so they are really quite small.

The "Succulent" in the red pot is a kind of succulent. It looks like a dainty little sedum, but it doesn't flower. Some people have suggested that a sedum would be correct.

The "Rosette" in the black pot sends out runners with other little rosettes at the ends -- for a dainty little groundcover.

The rosettes change throughout the year, sometimes getting fuzzy; but they don't flower either.

{{gwi:314598}}

Thanks,

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: A Succulent and a Rosette thread (Name that Plant Forum)

Comments (4)

• ms_minnamouse
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure the first is a sedum. One of the many cultivars, no doubt.

• leftwood
    14 years ago

The left image is definitely a sedum. Sedum album is a good guess, but only that. However Sedum album is usually not difficult to flower if it is in full sun. There are MANY Sedum species that look like your pic. Add to that the fact that they look different if they are grown in shadier spots compared to more sunny and austere. For instance, it could also be Sedum hispanicum. My gut feeling is that you can get a feeling of what it is, but won't really know for a few years while you observe its growth and keep your eyes open while on the net, in books, with knowledgeable friends, etc.

Your second image is difinitely NOT a euphorbia. It might be an Androsace sp., but I am not very knowledgeable with them.

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

The second one could be Lewisia columbiana if it's leaves are succulent.

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

No, it's definitely an Androsace. It might be sempervivoides.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus