Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decogirrl

Newbie wonders...Fire pit installed in rock garden?

decogirrl
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'd like to install a rock garden in a space about 15' wide and 20' long with a western exposure and a lot of wind. In the rock garden I would like a fire pit designed into the stones. Is this possible? And, as a follow-up, how far away should I put the plants and what plants would best tolerate the heat?

Thank you!

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    16 years ago

Mostly I'd be concerned for fire safety. For the prevailing wind picking up sparks and embers and moving them into dry material/duff.

I know that when Someone uses our incinerator that the scorch zone around it is at least three to five feet away when woody material is being disposed of. That's from the sides of the drum - not actual flames.

The other aspect that may be of consideration is where to put all the rear ends of guests... Enough space for stools, benches, loungers, direct sitting on sun-warmed pebbles - without turning a prized cushion plant into an ottoman.

You might want to look at the alternative of a chiminea (think that's right) which has the plus of being portable for winter storage.

Perhaps instead of choice plants in the area - more hardy species among the grasses, ericas and callunas, or mat-forming species that have the plus of scent. Thyme is an option - for the evenings when the bees aren't around. Or species known for their ability to repel bugs.

Being a wary soul - I'd make sure the access paths were wide and well-lit, too. Flames can be a bit night-dazzling.

• botann
    16 years ago

You don't have enough room.

Sponsored
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES