Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

What is my garden missing?

lisa2004
19 years ago

I started this rock garden last year because I couldn't decide what to do with this slope behide my house. Anyway, seeing as I did the entire thing myself, I'm fairly satisfied, but I'm definately missing something. What could I put along the top edge (above the top row of rocks)? It's just missing something and doesn't blend into the yard. I'm open to anything from plants to paths, etc. Thanks for any help.

http:tinypic.com/bjz45

{{gwi:373198}}

Comments (13)

• nagamaki
    19 years ago

Hi, you've created a very nice space and rock garden. To my eye a contoured type backrop would bring additional focus on to the rock garden. In other words something to prevent the eye from carrying and focusing beyond the garden's borders. Such a backdrop can be completely closed giving a cozy type feeling, or spaces can be left open to create a window bringing attention and giving views to other parts of the yard.

A mixture of tall and/or short dwarf type evergreens/trees along with flowering shrubs/bushes might be nice. Tall grasses should be considered too. A partial or full rock wall can be incorporated as part of the backdrop as well. There are many wonderful ideas from which to choose.

Also, a mixed backdrop with evergreens etc., will provide something of interest and enjoyment year round with the changing of seasons. Think of your garden as a 3D canvass and express your own imagination ...... . It can be done all at once or a little at time.

ciao

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:373196}}

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Your picture is really pretty. I like those circular pond and garden areas.

• robert
    19 years ago

I think that your rock garden would make more of a statement if you reviewed its shape. If it had flowing curves instead of straight edges with part of the bed flowing a bit further up the slope than it does now the impact of the bed would be much greater. Try putting the larger rocks towards the back so that they don't dominate the foreground. Garden design is a very personal thing and for me I like the idea of the eye moving away up the slope with no backdrop of larger plants. In other words the grass slope becomes part of the scene. In my mind small alpine plants don't want to be dominated by larger planting. Now you have two very different ideas to work on. Hope these ideas help anyway.

• PrairieGirl
    19 years ago

You've done a very nice job. You should be quite proud of it!
    But, if something seems missing to you - here are some ideas.
    Maybe group some of the rocks into small piles so that it is less like a 'plum pudding', and plant some plants between the relatively small crevices that are created. Consider a tad of height in one or two spots just for a focal point. Add something with some height like driftwood or an old tree stump with roots if it's to your taste. Plant viny things around the wood. Or make a rocky cairn or inukshuk as a kind of naturalistic 'statue'.
    Some spiky, not too tall plants like blue oat grass or even a yucca or two would give it some architectural drama. Or possibly a couple of dwarf evergreens (I mean really dwarf ones that don't get more than 2 feet tall).
    Of course, none of this might be to your taste - but it might spark something similar in your mind that works for you.
    But it looks pretty nice right now - and I've seen a lot of rock gardens lately. That's a whole other story.

• sagebrushred
    19 years ago

I'm liking the start of this garden alot. I did a quick sketch trying to convey what I would do to transition from the lawn to the garden and bring it down the slope on the far side. Sorry I'm no artist but I hope it gives you some ideas. I also like PrairieGirls idea to group some of the smaller rocks so they have more impact.
    {{gwi:373201}}

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, that's great how did you do that? Paint? You guys have some really good ideas...I'm going to keep thinking about it until next spring. I'd like to also do something at the top of that slope. I'm very bad at seeing a finished product in my mind...I'm not at all artistic. I'm definately going to add more rocks as you did in the drawing. Then, I'll continue on from there.

• marquest
    19 years ago

My 2cents here. The bench sitting in front gives me the vision that it needs something to focus on like a statue or water feature, eye catching birdbath.

Is the tree still your property? Maybe add a smaller rock garden curving around the tree to become a smaller version on the rock garden in front of rhe bench.

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, this garden is directly behind my house (about 3 feet behind the bench) and then the property goes back for about 1.5 acres. There are several other gardens beyond that tree. I was actually thinking about putting a garden around it...It'll have to wait until spring now. It's getting cold and I still have so much to do in the yard.

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

A few large containers toward the back would add interest and a flowing flowering shrub such as forsythia or spirea if the tree roots wouldn't interfere. EP

• rue_anemone
    19 years ago

The best thing I did on my property was to make garden rooms. It actually makes my yard feel larger.

I have a formal/white/boxwood garden, a cottage garden, rock garden, secret garden and woodland garden. All this on just 1/2 acre city lot.

I have used boxwood, yew, privet, an old door and garden structures to make the walls of my rooms. I can picture a stone wall around your garden.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    19 years ago

Rue anemone, I'd love to hear more about your garden rooms and how on earth you got to fit in on a city lot.
    I am too dreaming some sort of division and themes but you posting just blew my mind..
    Do tell more
    klk

• cassiope
    19 years ago

Nagamaki
    I just checked out your website. Gosh you have a gorgeous garden, thanks for sharing your photos. I am curious about 2 things - how big is your garden and how long did it take to establish it?

Lisa,
    I started my rock garden about 4 years ago - so I don't feel I can give any advice. I was lucky to be able to speak to an expert about mine though (the owner of Rice Creek Gardens in MNs). I have all sorts of plants that will eventually give my garden more dimension to it, in the meantime, I was advised to plant more varieties with some height! It's going to take a few years before my minature conifers get to that stage.
    Cassiope

• madtripper
    19 years ago

Here are some ideas.

The rocks are too similar in size and too many. Remove some, or group some closer together, and others farther apart. The rocks look too staged.

The flag stones along the path takes the eye away from the rock garden. I think just grass in front would look better.

Make it bigger. A path thorugh it might make it look bigger. I also agree that the shape is too regular.

There is nothing in the garden that is a wow factor. This can be done with one or two large rocks - a problem moving and getting them. Or use one or two larger clumps of plants - more stricking globs of color. Another option is to create a dry stream bed running through the garden.

The clumps of plants still look very new, ie small clumps between rocks. Once they get bigger and start covering some of the rock the garden will look much more natural. You want the rock to be evident, but much of it should be hidden by plants. This takes time, or buy more/bigger plants to start with.

Sponsored