Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzer_gw

freeze tolerant alpines?

jazzer
19 years ago

Hi,

I've been checking into creating a freeze tolerant container garden. I like some of the sedums I've seen and I've been told sempervivums are good and will withstand a freeze. I also like many of the alpine plants. These plants are new to me so excuse my ignorance. Could amyone recommend freeze tolerant alpines that would go well with succulents in a container? Are alpines needs quite different than a succulents? I'm looking for low maintenance and drought tolerance if possible.

Thanks much,

Mark

Comments (3)

• Peter60
    19 years ago

Mark, here are a few to look up. They should be fine in a Zone 8. Not necessarily true alpines but then very many so called alpines for troughs are not from alpine regions. They just lend themselves well to the situation.

Antennaria dioica rubra
    Corydalis wilsonii
    Cotula barbata
    Geranium crug
    Helichrysum bellidioides
    Lewisias
    Morisia monanthos
    Phlox borealis

My Website

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

Hi Mark,

Check out NARGS.org (North American Rock Garden Society). They have a ton of information on rock garden and alpine plants. If you are indeed in zone 8, I would think you would have more difficulties growing alpines in the summer than worrying about frost.

Hope this helps, GC

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate & plants

• jazzer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you very much for the information Peter and GC. We can get very hot and dry here in the summer. I will read up with the links you both gave. I have much to learn and will enjoy the journey!

Cheers,
    Mark

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH