Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polita_gw

Growing of Edelweiss in Auckland

polita
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I just came from a trip to Austria and brought Leontopodium alpinum seeds back home in Auckland, New Zealand (Auckland enjoys warm, rather dry summers and mild, wet winters. The climate is comfortable all year round except in the summer months when a combination of heat and humidity can lead to some rather sticky days and nights. Frosts in winter are very rare. Source: emigratenz)

My question is if someonw has grown before Edelweiss in this type of weather and what precautions should I take to succesfully do this.

Thanks a lot!

Comments (2)

• madtripper
    13 years ago

I can't really help you with your climate. Ours is much colder with wet winters. Here L. alpinum seems to be short lived, I think because it gets too wet in winter. I now have a plant in a steep slope with very sandy soil and it has survivied a couple of winters now.

• goren
    13 years ago

Have you ever heard the old adage.....you can take the girl out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the girl.

Seeds from another part of the world--litterally half a world away, would probably fit the adage.
    It can be dangerous too, removing what naturally grows in one part of the world and starting it in another where conditions don't favour it and where if it gets out of hand, can be very dangerous to native plants.

You, in New Zealand, must be aware of the mistakes Australia did by importing remedies for animal control and finding out they've created a bigger problem.
    The dingo, the mongoose, in attempting to cure the rabbit population just made matters worse.

Before proceeding with the seeding, It's probably too late anyway, but still, a mention to your local agriculture people might give assurances you haven't created a Frankenstein.

What harm can an edelweis do.....I don't know....does it grow naturally in New Zealand.

I always think of Christopher Plummer (that fine Canadian actor) singing the song about edelweis in The Sound of Music.

Sponsored