Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_nh

Sempervivum forum?

patrick_nh
20 years ago

Has anyone considered contacting GW and requesting a seperate Sempervivum forum? Would there be enough interest to justify it? I would use it, and Mareas, you would too, I'm sure. Anyone else?

Comments (14)

• robert
    20 years ago

I'd be interested Patrick and would make sure that it was known about in the UK.

• mareas
    20 years ago

Yes, please, a Sempervivum Forum!

• Greenthumb
    20 years ago

Hi All,
    If you want to request a Semp. forum you need to go to the Suggestions & Comments forum and post your request.

I think it's a great idea.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Suggestions & Comments Forum

• petsitterbarb
    20 years ago

Okay...newbie that I am, I jumped in and posted on the suggestions & comments forum, requesting the possibility of a sempervivum forum. Feel free to chime in!
    :~)
    Barb

• Bostonian
    20 years ago

Do the sedums get to ride along with the semps?

• robert
    20 years ago

Absolutely no reason why they can't. The Sempervivum Fair I went to this year was combined with the national Sedum Society Convention. I've included a link below so that you can read about it and see a few pages of pictures. The trouble is that there is no end to this adding here and adding there. In the end you find that you've included all succulents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sempervivum Fair Plus

• Bostonian
    20 years ago

Robert, Thanks for the link. Very nice site.

• webeesemps
    20 years ago

I hope I'm not too late to also express interest and support for a Semp forum...I just became a member today and just went thru reading about 75% of the Semp related Posts. I recognize some of your names already that are contributing to the forums regarding semps. I have not cooked the promised dinner nor done my abdominal exercise regimen because I am sitting in front of this computer typing...

I guess I need to go to the Suggestions/Comments section to put in my 2 cents...

• robert
    20 years ago

Having originally approved of the idea of making a separate Sempervivum forum I am having second thoughts. There is a danger of ending up with tunnel vision and not seeing the good things on either side. In the UK enthusiasts tend to grow Sempervivums, Jovibarbas and Rosularias and other associated plants anyway. There is also an enthusiasm for Sedums, succulents and alpines in general. One danger of isolating the messages within a very limited Sempervivum Forum is that other people are less likely to visit your particular part of the message board. By discussing Semps. within the 'Alpines and Rock Gardens' umbrella our fondness for these plants might rub off onto other growers. I'm happy to leave things as they are.

• petsitterbarb
    20 years ago

Good points, Robert. I do find that I have a growing interest in sedums, and am trying to learn more about other succulents, as well. The problem here is I have to be creative with planting, to avoid root rot. Am doing some containers, and have raised several beds. I believe in the old saying "Where there's a will, there's a way", so am charging forward!
    Happy Spring, ya'll! Barb

• webeesemps
    20 years ago

Mister Robert, You may be right about trying not to exclude other people by isolating info under one specific plant type. I, myself am particularly looking for information regarding sempervivums and just need to be able to identify that information quickly without having to plow thru all the questions and answers in the alpine forum. So, as long as everybody is specific in identifying the information they are passing on (such as being about sempervivums), I would be able to take advantage of the shared info easily and quickly.

By having an integrated forum, it is important that people clearly distinquish subject matter for easier browsing given the broad area of subject material.

• pranger
    19 years ago

I vote to keep the sedums and such lumped with the rock gardens. My hillside rock garden has become a sedum/thyme jungle. I just love the little critters. Can't get enough of them. And I do it all with some of the best clay you ever wanted to do without.

• kathyfox
    19 years ago

i am new to the semp so i too would love it. need all the help i can get

• leftwood
    19 years ago

I don't think this is a bad idea, but I do question it. It's the tunnel vision sydrome: everyone gets it - for a while. I don't think anyone can say that they haven't moved on from what they were enthusiastic about at one time or another.

Frankly, I never realized there was so much activity in the alpine forum to "plow through." I see a semp forum as another forum I would need to check when I am on line in addition to the alpine forum. I would visit it much, much less.

And there is the line drawing: where do succulents start and alpine plants end? Where would you put Talinums or Lewisias, for instance? And who would know? There are always questions about daylilies, canna lilies and lily of the valley on the Lily forum(even though they are not Lilium). And these are the easy ones.

So what if you don't know what a Talinum or Lewisia is? You never will because you'll never hear about it on the semp forum.

Just my thoughts. I like to know about "everything."

Rick

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor