Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arob_gw

19th century cobble stones?

arob
16 years ago

The old dumps that my friend and I like to dig for antique bottles at, are full of 19th century cobble stones - imported from England these stones are flat on top and bumpy on the bottom and squareish all over; they are shaped like a loaf of bread and weigh about thirty pounds each.

Recently in one of our dumps I have encountered so many that I have begun to pile them separately wondering (hoping) that may I'll get twenty bucks for 100 or whatever?

Tell me is there any market for olde English cobble stones in America? How could I sell them?

Mt Dumpdiggers blog is at http://dumpdiggers.blogspot.com if you want to read the story - Urban Gulch is the post.

Comment (1)

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

I would think there would be a strong interest in historic cobble stones for use in gardens as pathways, floors in greenhouses or patios etc.

But wouldn't it be more cost effective to keep them in Canada and not have to ship something has heavy and bulky as cobblestones to the States? Surely there would be some interest around Toronto, Kingston, Montreal....anyplace or people that appreciate history and would like to have a bit of it in their garden.

Heck....I would like to have something like that in MY garden. I'm in the Sarnia area. I'm employed in the Works Dept. of a small historic town and recently discovered a stockpile of hundred year old glazed pavers that were once part of the Main street. I'm still scheming on how to make them part of my garden. LOL!

I just spent the better part of an hour on your blog-fascinating reading! I'm a little bit of a dumpdiver myself, though haven't done any searching in a quite a while. I had to laugh at your description of the Dr. Thomas Eclectric bottle-of course I have some of them. But I know that any irradiated bottles I have are genuine, as I found them in fields and old wells myself.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022