Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htown_gw

moss rocks

htown
20 years ago

does anyone know if moss rocks are usually sandstone?

i found some huge boulders(some bigger than a deisel) in the hilly woods of east texas. a big surprise. one the geological maps from what i can tell is mostly sandstone.

well just wonder if anyone know what are some the different types of rocks that are sold as moss rock?

Comments (6)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

it varies from region to region, but I know that moss will grow on shales and slates, granite, some sandstones, and marble...actually, in my humid climate, even the basalt and granite will support moss- but the locals around here are more likely to want to STOP moss, rather than encourage it.

• leftwood
    20 years ago

Ditto. Limestone (due to its pH) is probably the only surface I would not try, although I have actually seen moss on that too. Remember too, you don't need rocks to grow moss. Dirt can work just as well.

• htown
    Original Author
    20 years ago

thanks yall. much appreciated.

• alanrocks
    20 years ago

I placed fossils in limestone in the woods and have had no problem getting moss on them. Granted, most have been in the woods for 20 years! Lately I have been harvesting the fossils, putting them in my back yard. I think the key is shade and plenty of organic humus like decomposing leaves.

• plantiques
    19 years ago

In Texas and OK, "moss rock" is sandstone.

• alpiner
    19 years ago

AlanRocks, the same here. I'm a geologist and can definitely say that most of the rocks in our garden are limestome. We can grow moss on them if they are kept damp.

I also collect fossils. Our rock gardens have as many fossiliferous rocks as non-fossiliferous. Everything from dinosaur bones, to pertrified wood to slabs of various paleozoic invertrbrates from our nearby mountains. I also insert a lot of fossils (brachiopods, ammonites, etc.) into hypertufa troughs to give them added character.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone