Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_gal

Lewisia developing a neck...help??

Cat_Gal
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I bought this little guy at Lowes more than a year ago. It's bloomed a few times since I've bought it. The past few months was when things starting going south. It's developed an unsightedly long neck (think African Violet that needs to be repot) and it's causing the whole plant to "droop/wilt".

I understand I need to repot in a larger pot, use better potting soil (humus rich/gravel:course sand, 2:2.5), and have it in a more sunny spot. Is there anything I can do about this neck? Or is it on its way to plant heaven? I've grown lots of plants (mostly tropicals) and have not had any experience with native plants/rock garden plants.

Please advise on anything else I need to do... especially with the neck thing!

Thank you.

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    16 years ago

Some Lewisias form a multi-head rosette - neat and tidy. However, like you, I have one that looks more like an elderly Echeveria. It has a thick bare stem which has gone on to form branches with rosettes at the ends. I know it's not on its way to The Great Compost Heap. It looks too healthy.

It also has put out additional roots along the length of the stem so it may just be an adaption for coping with harsh growing conditions. You might want to give yours a pot with 'sprawl room'.

I guess it's like kids in a way: they start out cute, go through the gangly stage - then mature and develop character. I'm personally liking my wayward Lewisia :-).

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Drainage tile has the right shape for these.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor