Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shrubs_n_bulbs

Alpine Daphnes

shrubs_n_bulbs
18 years ago

I'm looking for one, maybe two alpine Daphnes, for an outdoor trough. I am looking at D. arbuscula for its all round performance and D. jasminea because its so darned beautiful. Any comments? Any other suggestions? Ideally it should be hardy to 20F or so and tolerant of regular rain, but I can provide excellent drainage and occasional protection from extreme weather.

Comments (3)

• MarkG_UK
    18 years ago

Hi, I've had D.arbuscula in a trough for probably nearly 30 years. There's a link below for a rather bad picture of it. It's moved house with me four times. It's great when it flowers, a little less interesting the rest of the year. I've had it in un and now semi shade. I think D.jasminea would be much more of a challenge, I think most people still grow it under cover. There are now a whole range of dwarf hybrids, Blackthorn Nursery is a good source but they don't do mail order I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne arbuscula

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Mark, looks like D. arbuscula is top of the list. Nice plant you've got there, obviously not at all picky about where it lives. One of these days I'll have seen every page on your web site, but each time I think I have another one shows up!

Are the hybrids like D. x. whiteorum more tolerant than the parent species or are they bred more for the show bench and alpine house?

Also, have you heard of Ad Hoc Plants? They happen to be fairly close to me and are probably the closest place to find this sort of thing.

• MarkG_UK
    18 years ago

Hi, I've been a little out of the loop re new hybrids, there are a lot but I think most would be for the garden. Are you a member of the AGS? I have a book on Daphnes from them but it's now out of date, you may be able to pick up suppliers from there. But as I say, if you can talk to Robin White of Blackthorn Nursery he would probably be the best to give you advice and supply plants.(I don't know him myself but he always comes up). Another route is to join Alpine-L, they are a huge alpine e-list, mainly stateside but a lot of Europe and Uk members who could give you advice and connect you up with suppliers. You will see my e-mail address on my website (I don't put it here because of harvesting), if you want e-mail me and I'll get you the details to join Alpine L if you are interested.
    all the best, Mark

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH