Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digsdahlias

Sunken Rock Garden

digsdahlias
16 years ago

Hi there -- I have a pond that I'm thinking of re-locating to a different area - and I thought, well I've got that big hole, plenty of rocks, why not create a sunken rock garden. Couldn't find much info. about this under landscape design. Has anybody done this and what have you found about drainage problems and how did it look when done? Thanks -- Kathy

Comments (2)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

What about a bog garden? Otherwise a key term for you might be "moraine". Depends on how much water, if any, seeps in from the sides, and when - since winter is the wet time in our area a moisture bed may be damp at the wrong times for many plants unless the moisture is trapped and held in place for summer.

• janeeditorial
    15 years ago

To make a sunken rock garden in a wet climate, I'd advise building planted walls around the edges and laying pavers or gravel on the bottom, over some good drainage. The bottom could then be used as a seating area from which to admire the plants growing in the walls, and you would have the advantage of a full range of sun exposures to suit different plants. I saw something like this done very well in western Oregon.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?