Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drcjc

Unwanted Watsonia in my rock garden

drcjc
17 years ago

Watsonia (I thinks is pillansi) is poking through the weed cloth all over my new rock garden. What is the best way to destroy these bulbs? A huge number were dug up when we prepared for the new rock garden, but they are popping up all over now. I have been spraying each young sprout with roundup but it seems to be never ending. Is it better to just pull up the blades of the leaves? I can't dig them out because they are underneath the weed prevention cloth - the spikes are so strong they poke right through! Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Unwanted Watsonia???? You could always mail them to me, and then I'd plant them and the cold would probably kill them. I wish I had a more sensible response, but I'd LOVE to be able to grow Watsonia!

Lisa (near Reno, NV)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Round-up, of course, is taken in through the leaves or succulent stems (basically, anything green). If you are spraying the shoots as they come up, they're not taking in very much of the poison. Let them get 4-10 inches first. (I'm not familiar with the normal size of the plant.) Killing any bulbs with glyphosate (Round-up) is a multiple application method. The chemical is take in, and because the bulb is so massive compared to what a "regular" plant is, the chemical is spread throughout to the point that the chemical is in such low concentration that it can't kill anymore. Or, as is the case with woody plants, glyphosate can be stored in the wood.

So wait for it to grow, then spray. Leaves should look peeked, then turn back to green. That's your cue to spray again.

Rick

P.S. I have several friends who could use some bulbs too. If only they were easily dug . . .

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

I live in warm NC and Watsonia's would love it here (I do have 6 bulbs that expanded slowly in 2 years so they are not invasive here).

Be kind to other gardeners with your excesses, that is what trading on the GW is all about. Unwanted for you, drooled over by others.

I have a lot of Sedums that I would trade with you, since you are on the Rock Garden forum I am assuming that is what you want eventually - w/o the Watsonia. If they are under the weed prevention cloth - it is not working and you would be better off pulling up sections, digging deeper and sifting out the bulbs from the soil, and then replacing the soil and cloth. That may take some time but if you don't do it now you will always have Watsonia's.

Nancy the nancedar

Sponsored