Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poppygal

Phlox Subulata Emerald Cushion

Poppygal
18 years ago

Hi I am wondering if someone could please tell me what is the problem with the above 2 plants I have . The leaves of both plants have turned very yellow . They were doing really good thro' the summer this started in Oct when it got cooler & also more rain. One is in a Hypertufa pot with a Thrift plant.The other one is in a brown plastic pot. I live on Vancouver Island mild rainy winters but plenty of sun in the summer. I would like to save them as my Grandson gave them to me last May :))

Poppy

Comment (1)

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Well, my plants stuck out in the clay and growing happily for many years now are a mix of tan and green, but mostly green. We've had many frosts - I suspect you wouldn't have had any. I don't know, having never gardened out there, but my guess is they'd likely be evergreen there (since they're partially evergreen here). So, adding it all up, rightly or wrongly, yellow doesn't sound like a good color for them! It often means too much water or too little. Given that one plant is in a hypertufa trough, it's hard to imagine it having insufficient drainage and thus getting too much water despite your rainy fall (though I did notice that troughs are generally put up on blocks at the alpine gardens I've seen out there, presumably to ensure drainage). But if it is a case of poor drainage and too much water, I would have expected the armeria to have reacted in the same way probably even sooner. In the plastic pot, poor drainage and too much water could be a possibility... Does it sound likely? Sorry, not much help...

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio