Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy5050_gw

What plants for zone 7 --shade

Nancy5050
20 years ago

What alpines plants are good in zone 7? I plan on extending a rock garden off of my rock patio ,I can show you the area ,the patio isnt complete yet,and am unsure what plants might work for this -I am also going to be dealing with an area that has a lot of shade. ---- http://community.webshots.com/user/nancyb5050

Comments (5)

• SnowOwlMoon
    20 years ago

Ferns and some of the smaller Azaleas ("Hino Crimson" and "PJm" come to mind). Some Sedums are tolerant of shade ("Golden Acre" is doing fine in sun or shade for me), and the Hens & Chicks are doing fine in shade. If it's not deep shade, Creeping Thyme will survive, but grow more slowly (I have some growing between stepping stones on a footpath, and the plants in full sun are growing faster than the ones in partial shade, but both are doing well). Corsican Mint is another option. You might also try some ornamental grasses, and depending on how much space you have, a hardy Fuchsia.

• Nancy5050
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks SnowOwlMoon-I have plant some starts off other azaleas also some ferns and some irises,You have given me more ideal of what I can add.

• razorback33
    20 years ago

Ferns, Epimediums, Asarum, Cyclamen, Arum, Arisaema, Carex, Azaleas, Ligularia, Tricyrtis, Podophyllum & Dysosma, Helleborus, Disporum, Selaginella and other mosses, Hosta, Iris(japonica, retics, etc.), Dwarf Japanese Maples(about 25 different cultivars of palmatum & japonicum), native terrestrial orchids, Cyps, Aplectrum, Tipularia, etc. and the pretty little Calanthe discolor, sieboldii & X Kozu, all thrive in my shady rockgarden. Some of these will tolerate less moisture than others and at various times of the year.
    Rb

• Nancy5050
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks so much Razorback ,you have provided me with lots of options to research-so many of these I am less than familar with -its a good thing we we have all thoses search engines -so off to go exploring.

• safariofthemind
    20 years ago

Here's a good list from plantsman Barry Glick. Most of these are suited to your needs sizewise though they are woodland/natives not alpines per se. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Glick Picks

Sponsored