Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laisan_gw

sedum australe

Laisan
18 years ago

Hi,

I just purchased a 4" pot of this. I thought sedums were considered low maintainance, but this one says "Fairly tender Mexican stonecrop. Rare in cultivation" Does this make it an annual or a house plant? Any culture info would be appreciated. I've got a few stems that have fallen off and plan to root them indoors in water, will that work, or should I put them in seedling mix?

Thanks,

Laisan

Comment (1)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

The Mexican Sedums are typically hardy to zone 7 or 8, which is tender for a Sedum. It may well be fine outdoors, but will want good drainage.

Put the cuttings in a cactus mix, or even grit or sand. They will probably rot in water or regular potting soil.

According to its original description, which is almost the only information I can find, it was discovered in Guatemala and has sprawling woody stems with many half-inch leaves and it roots at the stem joints. In other words, a typical Sedum! I can't infer anything about the hardiness because I don't know the altitude of the location which is somewhere on a 12,000' mountain well within the tropics.

Sponsored