Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelspur

Suggestion for rock crevice dry & shallow

squirrelspur
19 years ago

We have some beautiful rock outcroppings on our property. Right now the only thing that grows in the dry sandy shallow soil in the outcroppings is grass - any suggestions for something prettier? Am in hot humid North Carolina but still gets cold (low teens min) in winter.

Thanks! Karen

Comments (4)

• cassiope
    19 years ago

Hi Karen,
    You are lucky! I envy people with such a garden. On the following link is Siskiyou rare plant nursery's website. If you click on 'shop online' it will have a new index including, 'plants for heat and high humidity'. Where I am in central Wisconsin, we too have heat and humidity - but our weather conditions the last couple of years have not been normal (unseasonably pleasant - low humidity!). Anyway my experience with alpine plants is based on just those irregular years. I bet if you find alpines that are native to the Mediterranean region you'll have luck. I wish you lots of fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursery

• squirrelspur
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link Cassiope. They have a question area where you can submit a specific question about plants - very nice site.
    I'll be happy to trade you my summers for yours!

Karen

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

Don't know about North Carolina but here the periwinkle and spiderwort cover such areas.. and were there long before we moved here 18 years ago. EP

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

{{gwi:373385}}
    spiderwort

Sponsored