Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Opinions - Might Order Seeds

Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 11:39

I'm thinking of trying alpines from seed for the first time. Has anyone attempted to grow any of these from seed? Anyone grow these at all? Would love to hear any first hand experiences and how tricky these may be. Also wondering if I can expect flowers from any of these the first year?

Any alpine seed growing tips are welcome!

Aloinopsis spathulata
Calochortus nuttallii
Campanula raineri
Campanula shetleri
Douglasia nivalis
Houstonia rubra
Mimulus rupicola (won't be hardy, but too cool to pass up!)
Pulsatilla turczaninovii
Veratrum formosanum (not really an alpine, but...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Opinions - Might Order Seeds

I grew Pulsatilla turczaninovii from seed. That was before I read you're suppose to remove the tails on the seeds. Wintered sowed in mid Feb here in Minnesota. Maybe a third to half of seed germinated in late May. Don't know if the tails had anything to do with anything. Pretty slow growing, but the tenacity of the little buggers was surprising. I don't fertilize, although others do. Turczaninovii is a reall honey. I seldom post pics on GW since the Ivillage takeover, but you (or anyone) can email me for a password to my photobucket account where you can see the pulsatilla and a lot more.

Be sure to use an excellent draining lean planting medium for all your alpines. A most excellent discussion on seed starting alpines is here. It starts with a different subject. Scroll down to Feb 3, and it continues on and on.

Good Luck!

o

• Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 25, 06 at 13:48

Thanks! I had the Pulsatilla on my list, because I remember your picture.

The post you linked to was a good help. So it is best to grow the seeds outdoors as apposed to under lights or in a greenhouse? I have all of the above at my disposal...

o

Because alpine plants are what they are, they like the cool temps. Inside the house under lights would be the last option, as cool temps are non-existant (especially at night). Greenhouse would be questionable - does it get hot during the day in the sunshine? Alpines hate heat and humidity. A coldframe would be ideal, where you could regulate the temperature and airflow. I start mine outside on the north side of my house. Most are winter sown. Just acquired a coldframe that I will be putting up.

I think that thread listed good sites for germination advice for alpines, like the Ontario Rock Garden Society Germination Guide. Temps might seem warm for some to germinate, but that doesn't necessarily mean warm once they are up and growing. It may be just to get the up at all, and/or to get them past a disease vulnerability stage.

o

I've done Calochortus species, although not nutallii...yet. I patted the seeds on to moist jiffy-mix in a pot, covered lightly and set the pot outside all winter to fend for itself. They germinated. I think my oldest pot is on year 3--hopefully the little bulbs will be big enough to plant out in the open garden this year.

Lisa

o

• Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 30, 06 at 19:07

OK...so outdoors it is!

Do you expect your 3yo Calochortus to bloom this year, Lisa?

Thanks!

o

Recently found another (though comparatively crude) germination guide, but it has tons of species on it. Really, it's the experience of one gardener, who recorded days to germination, and with or without a cold treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magner Aspaker's Sowing Methods

o

I HOPE the Calochortus will bloom this year, but I don't expect a thing. Bulbous plants are slow to grow here in Northern Nevada, even under the best of conditions. As in slow to grow from seed--they do just fine from bulbs.

Lisa

o

I tried veratrum nigrum several times and am waiting one more time with winter sowing method- it seems to be tough cookie to germinate/ and I am reasonably good at it/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here