Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ppennypacker_gw

Anyone growing Anacyclus depressus?

PPennypacker
20 years ago

I'm going to be growing Anacyclus depressus 'Garden Gnome' this coming February. Never grown it before and I hear the seed germination is intermittant. It's from the UK and seems to grow about 3".

Anyone growing it, had experience with it, or know more about it? I'd be pleased to hear.

Best,

PP

Comments (11)

• abgardeneer
    20 years ago

Mount Atlas Daisy (Anacyclus depressus) is actually from Morocco, apparently the only hardy member of a number of Mediterranean species. (Oh, perhaps the variety you mention was developed in the UK?) I grew it from seed many years ago, and it has since maintained itself by self-seeding. The foliage is a flat ferny rosette, but the main charm of the plant is the little white daisy flowers, that close at dusk or on cloudy days to show a fuchsia underside. One that reached 3" would be an overachiever, LOL! I seem to recall that it was easy from seed.
    It needs full sun. The literature says it requires good drainage but mine don't seem extremely particular, although in more humid areas I can imagine it would be much more important. Very hardy, obviously (this is zone 3). A very nice little plant.

• PPennypacker
    Original Author
    20 years ago

ABg,
    Thanks so for you wonderful response. I'm happy it will be so easy to grow - no problem.
    Best,
    PP

• azulfire
    18 years ago

I'am on the look for this plant? its been on my favorites list, a beatiful pic in my herb book.......so pennypacker did you get it?

• PPennypacker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

azulfire,
    Just got back from a botany expedition out your way (Nothern CA - Sierras & Whites + Deserts)and I went to the absolutely wonderful garden, The Ruth Bancroft Garden in Walnut Creek, Ca. There, on this incredible expanse of an Arid Garden, was a stand of the straight species, Anacyclus depressus! I think I took a photo...
    Well, this brings me back to the thread. I did, as I mention, try growing it. No such luck. It did germinate in a "Winter Sowing" procedure, but did not live.
    I subsequently bought a plant at a special plant nursery & have it now growing in the warmest bed, southern exposure, I have. Seems to be doing fine, at the moment. They can take the cold winters.
    Hope this helps.
    Best,
    PP

• azulfire
    18 years ago

The challenage of this plant makes it all the more challenging :0
    My husbands grandmother had this plant and I remeber we would put our hands over the flowers and watch it close and open.......lol my husband said they were called four o clocks but i grew them and they did not respond by opening and closing.....but its been years and his grnadmother has since passed away.......
    I did find a nursery that sells them I sent in my order but alas they were sold out and Iam put on the wish list. grrr
    I would love to see your photo....I hope you had a great time out here on the west coast.
    thanks for your response :)
    I dont supoose you know anything about Angelica Archangelica???? this is too also on my wish list

• PPennypacker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

azulfire -
    Thanks for your kind response. I will post a photo of both anacyclus (think I took shots of both...)and will post them here.
    As to the angelica, Johnny's Seeds has them and they're quite easy to grow and lovely! Here's the link:
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/detailcat.html?source=ov_angelica_archangelica&edit_id=519&cat_id=205&parent_id=205&topcatid=205&subcatid=207&topname=Herb%20Seeds&subname=Angelica&ct=hg&level=1&prodname=Angelica%20(OG)&OVRAW=angelica%20archangelica&OVKEY=angelica%20archangelica&OVMTC=standard
    Best,
    PP

• azulfire
    18 years ago

Penny thank you for the link ;) Still looking forward to your pics

• buttercupia
    17 years ago

I bought a plant of this at nursery and put it in the garden last late summer. It came back without any protection and is blooming very nicely now.. looks like it will be a great ground cover. It is called Garden Gnome..anacyclus depressus.
    Says it will have blooms up to 8 inches high, but right now they're two inches above the ground at most.. white daisylike
    blooms with pink striped undersides to the white petals. Foliage is low and feathery like yarrow.

• PPennypacker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes definitely buttercupia! It is a great plant. Well for you both (and azulfire) to know.., the seedling plant I purchased made it though the summer, but was getting quite overgrown with stachys and yarrow around it, so getting back just a month ago from Montreal and seeing their fabulous Alpine gardens at MBG, I decided to replant it, yet again, in my peastone path "Scree" I am designing. It has now been there about 2 weeks and looks happier than ever albeit worse for wear. I think it will make it. I'll take a photo, if you would like me to, before our frosts set in - about another month.
    Best,
    PP

• lilydude
    17 years ago

It's easy to germinate the seed at temperatures in the 60's. After that they need sharply drained potting mix (lots of perlite and/or pumice) and lots of light. In about a month they are ready for the garden, where they like full sun and sandy or gritty soil.

• PPennypacker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well azulfire -
    At long last, here is the photo of my little A. d. 'Garden Gnome', "in the flesh". It's tiny but growing well. Let's see what happens next spring07?
    {{gwi:373389}}
    Best to you and enjoy!
    PP

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County