Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mareas_gw

Sempervivum ID help please

mareas
20 years ago

Tonight there are 2 auctions on eBay that can be found by searching for "mini 3 rooted". [I have no connections with the auction lister other than plant species interests.] One group of plants looks like a Calcareum? and the other a Marmoreum??

Comments (5)

• safariofthemind
    20 years ago

There are thousands of hybrids out there. Usually when I see stuff on line I try to ask the seller where it came from to get a clue to the breeder. The site from Squaw Mountain helps also with id. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Squaw

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you for the link! I bought those plants - and through online search I think I was right! We will know for sure when they bloom...

• reneeslovenia
    17 years ago

Hm, being a sempervivum crazy woman myself I can only say once you got a semp without name, it stays this way for good. Identification is impossible, there are more than four thousand cultivars ... I myself have more than 1.000 diffrenet plants and always looking for exchage ,,,

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

I've always wondered, with so many cultivars, how is one sure that their "new" variety is not virtually identical to any number of those already named? No one could possibly keep them all straight. With even 40 some-odd varieties, I have a hard time remembering them all just by sight, without looking at the tag. Their summertime appearance seems to be the one which stands out in my mind as "the" way any certain cultivar should look, but some are just so variable throughout the rest of the year. Sometimes one variety in one season looks exactly like another at a different time of year, some look very similar to each other during one season, and dramatically different the next.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any cultivars which are so dramatically different from most others, in all seasons, that they are easily identified even with lost tags? Other than the common tectorum, Cleveland Morgan is one of the few that come to mind for me.

• reneeslovenia
    17 years ago

Not to mention all the fuzz wrongly written names of cultivars have made ... And not forgetting all the troubles wrongly named plant can made to several collections ... I regullary check photos from the web pages and compare my plants to them, AND HAVE ALREADY FOUND TWO WRONGLY NAMED CULTIVARS! Now I got this idea to swap cultivars I already have with other growers to see, if they are identical.

There's no Sempervivum cultivar register, but Erwin Geiger from Germany seems to know the most about identical looking semps. Here's the link:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/nabu/Index_of_all_Cultivars.html

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!