Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

H. Trentino

mariava7
16 years ago

"I could fall in love with Trentino", Chaz said. I don't blame him for I did once it opened it's delicately colored trumpet-like flowers, yelowish/cream with green throat and pink shadings on the petal edges.

From a 22 1/2cm bulb came out 3 scapes. The first scape, 17"tall has 7 31/2-4" flowers. Another Hadeco beauty...Enjoy!

{{gwi:370069}}

{{gwi:370070}}

{{gwi:370071}}

{{gwi:370072}}

{{gwi:370073}}

{{gwi:370074}}

Comments (17)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

It's gorgeous, Maria! I'm always very taken by the green-eyed flowers, variety doesn't matter... there's just something about that green in the center...

Trentino has very subtle shading from the pink to the cream to the green center... who will you pair it with for pollination? The color and shading contribution to offspring could be very nice!

• haweha
    16 years ago

Thank you Maria!
    Trentino is spectacular and a treasure to behold.
    Gosh, it has butterfly wings!
    When I shall get one then I shall try a crosspollination with my favorite, similarly colored, sibling of Pink Floyd x Giraffe.

Does anyone know whether Trentino is apt to produce seeds?!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jodi...Funny you had to ask me that question. I have been pondering and thinking about what to pollinate Trentino with for days now. This is one variety that I am having a hard time planning on it's pollination. It is an almost "perfect" hybrid...flower color, flower shape, #of flowers/scape, #of scapes/bulb size.

Sir Hans...Your very welcome Sir and I'm glad you liked Trentino. Trentino is a newly purchased bulb for me this season so I have no idea on it's seed production. Would you like to try some of it's pollens? I could easily send you some. Just email me your mailing address. That Pink FloydXGiraffe sibling would be a very good one. I LOVE that pretty little thing.

Two of it's flowers were ready to be pollinated yesterday and I had to decide. These are what I used so far...

First flower was pollinated with Jade Serpent(miniature) pollens
    {{gwi:370075}}

Second flower was pollinated with Santa Fe(trumpet)pollens.
    {{gwi:370076}}

18 more flowers to pollinate for the second scape has 7 blooms and third scape has 5 blooms. I am sooooo open to suggestions here.

I wish and hope it's not sterile like my Sugar Candy, it's Dutch look-a-like.
    {{gwi:370077}}

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

WOW ! mariava...
    Great photos of great cultivars!
    I looks like Trentino has 6 blossoms on the first scape.
    Santa Fe has fine stripes. How many blossoms/ scape?
    And Sugar Candy, how many blossoms / scape.
    What was your source? And have you noticed any problem rooting them?
    Patrick

• haweha
    16 years ago

GOSH - Sugar Candy shows marvellous performance also.

Maria you should not exclude that "Candy" does, at least, produce viable pollen and thus, dust your Trentino with it.
    That would be my choice!

• palmcoastgarden
    16 years ago

I agree that Trentino looks so much like Sugar Candy. Especially in the way buds all open at once in a big mass. I didn't realize that Sugar Candy was sterile.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhh Trentino is delicious!!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

I would've loved to have acquired this perfected beauty this season as well! =) Maria, where were you able to get this awesomely awesome Hadeco variety? The flowers look almost neon to me, so gorgeous. Thank you for the photos Maria, and feel better! =) There's a very nasty cold/flu going around Virginia right now and I've heard of symptoms such as chills, fever, fatigue, running nose, terrible cough, and sore throat....basically the cold/flu from hell. Hope to see you up and going soon! =)

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...Here are some info on these varieties:

Trentino
    source: JS 2007
    flowers/scape: 7,7 and 5
    bulb circumference when planted:22 1/2cm
    pollination: ???

Sugar Candy
    source: JS 2006
    flowers: My record just shows 17 flowers total in 2 scapes.
    Bulb circumference when planted:25 1/2cm
    Pollination: all 17 flowers failed pollination using both diploid and tetraploid pollens. I tried to use it's pollens on other varieties but failed too. I'll try again this season when it blooms.

Santa Fe
    Source: Easy to Grow Bulbs 2006
    Flowers: No definite record as it bloomed while I was on vacation.
    Bulb circumference:24cm
    Pollination: I did get to pollinate 1 flower from first scape and 4 on second scape and used it's pollens. Fertile bothways but rejected Sugar Candy and Amputo pollens.

Sir Hans...My stored pollens of Sugar Candy are dated March/2007 :-( It is currently resting with 1 leaf and 3-4 bulblets. It seems to be acting as a diploid. I will try to use it's pollens on more diploids this year. Maybe with Misty, Pink Floyd, Amputo, Estella(?) and Stripe Panther(?).

Hope that helps!

• jstropic (10a)
    16 years ago

Maria, the flowers, specifically the colors are beautiful! How large are the flowers on Sugar Candy compared to Trentino?

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Wow Maria, you keep super detailed records! Way to go with organization. =) I wished I hadn't missed out on Trentino at J.S....by the time I ordered this season, Trentino wasn't even on their website. I went back to the J.S's homepage and Trentino isn't there now either. =) Good choice and growing though, Trentino is off the hook. =)

• brigarif Khan
    16 years ago

Both are wounder full. I love the light shades.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jstropic...The flowers are almost the same size.

Here's the thread about Sugar Candy last year for those who want to read on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Candy

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And here is Trentino today.

Full of glory...
    {{gwi:370078}}

{{gwi:370079}}

And shimmer on the petals...(took me almost a dozen shots to get this one right)
    {{gwi:370080}}

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Ohhh, ahh, what a blissful flower. Great photography Maria.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Maria,

She is so Beautiful, and delicate!! Like the inside of a clam shell, all pearly and sparkly!! Gorgeous blooms!!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Trentino is a winner! No doubt about it! It's right up there with Zombie in my book! In other words... I must have one! :-)

Sponsored
More Discussions