Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

as confused as ever

brigarif Khan
14 years ago

Hi

I have grown Hippeastrums for many years, Consulted many growers and experts, consulted the literature that I could lay my hands on and still I am as confused as I ever was.

The pearls of wisdom that I have gathered are:

It is a hardy plant but some will die without your knowing why. Last year 80% of LEMON LIME bulbs bought by me and my friends died after a good bloom.

The planting depth, recommendations vary from placing it on the soil to burying it up to neck. Even if it is buried only up to its largest dia. In a bed it gets pulled down to below its neck within a few years.

A 4 inch dia. Bulb requires a 6 inch dia. Pot which is about of the same height ;( the roots can grow up to 18 inches).

After dormancy re-plant bulbs in fresh soil every year. (It takes three years for the root system to fully develop).

Dormancy must be forced, (even if the plant is growing well in your moderate climate and blooms properly) and how about the babies around them, why starve them.

It should be watered from below, (the nature has designed the leaf to gather the shower and direct it to its heart). Most of my bulbs are out in beds and leaves require frequent sprinkling to wash away the dust and they seem to like it.

HOW ABOUT YOU

Comments (20)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

And in their natural habitat, which ranges through parts of South America, circumstances are probably slightly different yet.

Arif, you grow mainly right in the ground, in your garden beds... therefore, the recommendations will be different than for those growing them within the confines of a container, which is a markedly different environment.

The vast differences between growing in a garden and growing in a pot dictate that we make changes... especially since the general public has certain notions about soils, watering techniques, feeding schedules, etc.

Once those differences are broken down to more scientific information, it becomes clear why certain things that work in a garden bed won't work in a pot. I really don't find it confusing, at all. I know certain concessions have to be made depending on which growing method a person uses.

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Different growing conditions...different growing requirements.

An amaryllis grown in Russia will have "SOME" different needs than an amaryllis grown in Virginia, more so in Pakistan.

Hello ARIF! I hope you are having a wonderful New Year!

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Hey, Arif! We also grow Hippeastrums outdoors. I haven't tried them myself, but the impression I get is that the green-flowering hybrids are mostly persnickety members of a generally tolerant group.

My bulbs seem happiest with the neck and about 1 inch of shoulders showing, and that it is usually better to plant too shallowly, than too deeply.

The theory behind the small pots is that plants in general will mature earlier and bloom more when their roots are crowded, even under poor light conditions indoors. Applying this to Hippes is probably pure Victorian gardening superstition. My colleagues may have different opinions on this, but I always amend the soil to 18 inches deep when planting.

See some of the other posts in this forum to watch the ongoing debate between forcing dormancy or not. It may be another one of the ways of getting blooms in spite of the inevitably poor growing conditions indoors.

Like almost all monocots, Hippeastrums completely replace their root systems every year. On the other hand, it will take 2-4 years for the bulb to fully develop--more growing from seed.

Water in the crown, of course is no problem as long as it evaporates quickly--something which may or may not happen in a closed room indoors. Also, growing outdoors gives the plant a lot of extra energy to fight off diseases.

I hope that explains a few things!
    Kevin : )

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My passion of growing these wonderful flowers is as strong as ever. Only now it does not bother me as much as it used to, when some of them pass away. Survival of the fittest being the law of the nature.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I don't think it's as much of a debate, Kevin, as it is simply different growers utilizing different methods because of the different environments we each have. A dormancy will take place whether we force one or not... forcing just changes the schedule slightly.

The Hippeastrum is a very versatile and forgiving bulb, and will respond positively in a variety of situations. It's really the perfect plant for a wide variety of gardeners because it's so open to "growing suggestion", so to speak.

If we could, I think we'd all grow them out in our gardens... but us northerners are forced to containerize them, or treat them as tender seasonals that must be stored for winter.

Mother Nature does know best, but some of us just have to muddle through indoors if we want to grow them.

• houstonpat
    14 years ago

Howdy Arif,
    I never water the pots from the bottom. It tends to build up salts. I too, have observed that some bulbs tend to pull themselves down (H. reticulatum), some tend to push up. I have found that it is not benificial to lift the bulbs and reset them higher. It has tended to prevent blooming. To reduce dirt and debris from accumulating in the top I cover the soil around the one that pull themselves down with coarse gravel and use a twig to remove leaves soil and such from the center. I have found it best to not force dormancy unless I'm trying to get them to bloom at a particular time, such as for a show.

• jim_thomerson
    14 years ago

It is my understanding that Hippies have perennial roots. Is this not the case?

• houstonpat
    14 years ago

I'm not sure the roots of all cultivars would be considered perennial. I have found that, in most cases, last year's roots tend to die off over winter or dormant periods, while new roots form around the top of the basal plate. I do conceed that, under certain conditions, the roots may last a couple years, while new ones are slowly added. In the latter case, I have observed those bulbs to be of the type that tend to push themselves up from the existing soil line.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Many of my bulbs reveal dead roots upon re-potting... and I think this is partially responsible for some of the rot issues I've experienced.

In nature, the world of microscopic creatures, bacterias, and fungi would work to break down those dead roots as they died, and help them decompose quickly so they didn't cause any problems.

But within the confines of containers, there are no microscopic armies of creatures and fungi waiting to feed on and digest those dead roots. They become so much rotten matter sitting underneath the bulbs, within the pots.

This is just one of the many issues we must find a way to deal with, when growing them in pots is our only option. An annual re-pot seems to be a good place to begin... and I am curious to see if the more aerated medium I'm now using will have any effect this, or not.

The fact that the majority of my bulbs have dead roots upon un-potting them suggests that the roots are not perennial, but are regrown annually... at least some of them are.

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Jodi, I see that you're right. Looking back over the posts, it's evident that if there is a debate, it's very low key and friendly. Mostly just sharing info! Do politicians need to take lessons from gardeners?

In no way did I intend to dis those growing Hippes indoors! In fact, I admire your skill and persistance in growing them under inherently difficult conditions. My neighbor from Massachusetts reminds me that houses in colder climates are built much brighter than houses here in Phoenix, because we are trying to save on air conditioning!

Sigh, such a beautiful and rewarding plant!
    Kevin : )

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Politicians are an entirely different animal, Kevin! What they need to do is return to the days when they were Statesmen, and not the politicians in wolves' clothing that they have become. What our government has been reduced to is shameful! Don't get me started! ;-)

I have found that true gardeners... the type that go the extra mile for their plants... are mostly warm, caring, generous, good people with hearts of gold and very deep souls. They care about people exactly how they care about their plants and pets and animals... very deeply. They are kind, considerate, patient individuals, and they'll give you anything you need, if they have it to give.

We have such a group right here, within this forum... and I am fortunate, indeed, to know them and call them "friend".

Our debates aren't really debates, as you say... it's more like just sharing and helping by relaying our experiences, or perhaps guessing at something in order to help. If I come on strong, I apologize... I've always stood toe to toe with reality and all its ugliness... and its beauty... and I've never owned a pair of rose colored glasses in my life! I tend to tell it like it is... and some people aren't ready for that... especially coming from a little blonde grandmother!

I never viewed your posts as dissing anything... and in fact, I'm always interested in hearing about how others grow and schedule their Hippeastrums. I've chosen to grow them as houseplants, letting them tell me what they want or need... but I like to know other methods so I can help people who perhaps can't do as I do for one reason or another.

I'm not exactly "skilled" quite yet... but I'm trying! There are so many variables to deal with when you're a northern gardener with limited space, a tight budget, and no will power when it comes to collecting! I've turned to the science side of learning, hoping it will give me a bit of an edge. Learning the how and why of what happens inside a planted container is really showing me some interesting facets to growing that I wasn't aware of!

We always wish for that greener grass on the other side of the fence... I wish I could plunk my bulbs in the garden beds and grow them there... and people in the south and west would probably love to grow Lilacs and Peonies, Tulips and other plants that require the dormancy our winters give.

Anyway... it's with this thread that it dawns on me the reason for the dead roots in all my pots... all I have to do is figure out the best course of action in preventing the rot that will surely happen if they're left without constant re-potting!

• haitidoc
    14 years ago

I've been debating about starting a string on relative ease of growing amaryllis compared to other blooming plants that one brings indoor to bloom. Over the years I have grown most indoor (and a great many outdoor) blooming plants and I cannot think of another easier to grow and bloom in the winter inside (or out)!

We all have our idea on how to make it grow, some of which I think are radical and others ridiculous, but these bulbs take that all in stride and grow in spite of all the horrible (and helpful) things we do to them.

These are tough critters, at least the highly hybridized ones. I know that many of those of the species and close to species are really only for those who can provide very specialized care.

the rest of us need to relax and enjoy and know that these tough guys can probably take and survive most of the abuse and "help" we can give them.

Vic

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

First of all, I wish your family and friends in Haiti the best, Vic... our prayers are with you, for your illness, and with them.

Second, I'm curious to know what you think of as abuse of these bulbs. What would you describe as the worst way to grow Hippeastrum bulbs? The best way, of course, would be growing them outdoors in a garden setting.

• haitidoc
    14 years ago

I wasn't thinking of anything in particular when I wrote that. It was my natural sarcasm coming out.

When bulbs like to grow their roots to 18 inches and we confine them to pots an inch or two large than the bulb on top of 5-6 inches of soil, or cutting off those magnificent leaves so we can try to force dormancy and they don't seem to be the least upset about it, I just feel they can handle about any other abuse we give them, including watering the bulb on top (what natures does), burying too deep (as nature does), growing on water, etc. They are just plan tough buggers.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I agree... which is why I've spent so much time trying to learn the science of growing within the confines of a container.

What I've discovered is, a Hippeastrum (or most other plants, for that matter) could be planted in rather large containers... if we could find a way to keep that much medium from retaining all the moisture from a good watering for such a long time.

With the peat based soils most commonly used, a very large pot that would be comfortable to the plant would stay moist for a really long time... great for bog plants, but not so great for most other plants. Roots uptake water in vapor form, and they can only uptake so much in a given period of time. If excess moisture isn't wicked away, roots will eventually suffer.

I suppose this is why smaller pots are most often recommended... so the roots and evaporation can adequately process the moisture. It's not too much medium, so it dries out faster.

The medium type I use can be used in large quantities, and because it's so free-draining and non-retentive, it dries out within a workable amount of time. This spring, I'll be transferring many of my larger bulbs to pots with more root space. I'll have to pare down my collection of oddballs, but it should be worth it in terms of healthier plants.

• haitidoc
    14 years ago

Incidentally, I also plant mine high in the soil so the roots have more room and I can watch the bulbs.
    But the babies are deeper and seem happier and bloom better for me. Sometimes the ungratefuls push momma out! Is there a lesson there?

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

sarmadsaeed, what great information. Thank you.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I think there is a lesson there, Haitidoc... my large Minerva grew a daughter bulb... and she eventually pushed Mom up out of the soil, and together they were so large, they cracked the pot!

In a natural setting, that of an undisturbed garden, the mother plant would grow offsets and surround herself with her progeny... then, she slowly declines and dies, and her offspring spread out around her... and the cycle continues.

I think the lesson here is... we can only manipulate Mother Nature to a certain extent... it's human nature to want to bring order and control to things... the lesson is that no matter how hard we try, we cannot make a container into Nature... and so, we have to learn to adapt certain things and practices.

Nature will carry on as it has for millennium... and our feeble attempts to put it all in order will largely go unnoticed by the plants... they will grow as they always have... and either thrive or die depending on our care.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No book has provided me so much information as the friends in this forum.
    Thanks every one.
    Arif

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions